all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with Spell Checker under Emacs
@ 2004-04-26 21:48 Quito Quito
From: Quito Quito @ 2004-04-26 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Everyone:

I use a UNIX machine (Sun Microsystems) and often use Emacs to edit
texts among other things. The spell checker works fine under
Emacs---except fairly frequently I get the following message at the
bottom of the screen when spell checking:

"Continuing spelling check using default dictionary ... "

Then the spell checking gets stuck there forever.

When this happens, I have to interrupt Emacs, and use my UNIX command
"ispell file_name.txt" to do the job.

This is pretty annoying especially when I often have to get back to
Emacs.

Would anyone like to explain what the cause of the above problem is?
How can we resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Roland

* Re: Problem with Spell Checker under Emacs
@ 2004-04-27 15:15 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-04-27 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quito Quito wrote:
 > I use a UNIX machine (Sun Microsystems) and often use Emacs to edit
 > texts among other things. The spell checker works fine under
 > Emacs---except fairly frequently I get the following message at the
 > bottom of the screen when spell checking:
 >
 > "Continuing spelling check using default dictionary ... "
 >
 > Then the spell checking gets stuck there forever.
 >
 > When this happens, I have to interrupt Emacs, and use my UNIX command
 > "ispell file_name.txt" to do the job.

What happens if you type C-g within Emacs?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Problem with Spell Checker under Emacs
@ 2004-04-28  1:06   ` Quito Quito
From: Quito Quito @ 2004-04-28  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, when I type Ctr-g, it comes out of that state, but
spell-checking is NOT done. If I re-do spell-checking, the same
problem happens.

@ 2004-05-02 20:23   ` Quito Quito
From: Quito Quito @ 2004-05-02 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin, do you have an answer in view of my another reply to you?

@ 2004-05-03  7:34     ` upro
From: upro @ 2004-05-03  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

qquito@hotmail.com (Quito Quito) writes:

> Kevin, do you have an answer in view of my another reply to you?
>
> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<408E7919.5030403@yahoo.com>...
>> Quito Quito wrote:
>>
>> What happens if you type C-g within Emacs?

I dare to suggest: May be you should enable debug mode by putting
(setq debug-on-error t) into your .emacs...

--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra  jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

* Re: Problem with Spell Checker under Emacs
@ 2004-05-03 12:21       ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2004-05-03 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had to fix a mistake in my win2k environment PATH variable.  I also moved my personal dictionary to an actual windows file system.  Ispell will now load and run, but hangs / crashes when checking a really big buffer for some reason.  C-g doesn't do anything.  I am going to try the debug-on-error.  Thanks!

@ 2004-05-03 20:14       ` Quito Quito
From: Quito Quito @ 2004-05-03 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the suggestion. But does it mean that I create a file
called ".emacs" in my home directory and put the line "setq
debug-on-error t" in the file?

I tried that and the problem still occurs.

@ 2004-05-03 20:29         ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2004-05-03 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

qquito@hotmail.com (Quito Quito) writes:

> Thank you for the suggestion. But does it mean that I create a file
> called ".emacs" in my home directory and put the line "setq
> debug-on-error t" in the file?

Parenthesis are necessary too.

(setq debug-on-error t)

--
Matthieu

* Re: Problem with Spell Checker under Emacs
@ 2004-05-03 21:07         ` upro
From: upro @ 2004-05-03 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

qquito@hotmail.com (Quito Quito) writes:

> Thank you for the suggestion. But does it mean that I create a file
> called ".emacs" in my home directory and put the line "setq
> debug-on-error t" in the file?
>
> I tried that and the problem still occurs.

... you probably _do_ have a file namde .emacs in your home directory
if you use emacs... (are you on Linux or UNIX?)

if you don't see such a file create one and write

(setq debug-on-error t)

in a line...

@ 2004-05-06 22:05           ` Quito Quito
From: Quito Quito @ 2004-05-06 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the confirmation. I did NOT previously have such a file
named .emacs, but I created one and put that line in it. Nevertheless,
the problem I mentioned in the beginning of this thread still occurs
fairly frequently. Sigh!

@ 2004-05-06 22:31             ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2004-05-06 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

qquito@hotmail.com (Quito Quito) writes:

> Nevertheless,  the problem  I  mentioned in  the  beginning of  this
> thread still occurs fairly frequently. Sigh!

Anyway, the suggestion wouldn't have solved anything. It just ease the
diagnosis.

Can you  try something else:  Type M-x set-variable  RET debug-on-quit
RET t RET (RET stands for the return key).

Then, try to reproduce the  problem, and when your Emacs freezes, type
C-g.  This  is  to  interupt  the  current  task.  With  the  variable
debug-on-quit set to t, this should display a debug backtrace.

Can  you  post the  result  here  (if it's  too  long,  just take  the
beginning and the end).

--
Matthieu

* Re: Problem with Spell Checker under Emacs
@ 2004-05-06 22:35             ` upro
From: upro @ 2004-05-06 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

qquito@hotmail.com (Quito Quito) writes:

> Thank you for the confirmation. I did NOT previously have such a file
> named .emacs, but I created one and put that line in it. Nevertheless,
> the problem I mentioned in the beginning of this thread still occurs
> fairly frequently. Sigh!

of course th error does still occur, but you should get a message by
debug that tells us what has happened...

Maybe you could post that message?

Btw: Ar you sure you have the relevant dictionaris installd and that
ispell/aspell use them?