Support for it is just one package-install command away, so I'd say Emacs supports it almost out of the box. Not to mention that for a language like Clojure you also need some REPL-interaction package to be able to evaluate code, so you won't get very far without an extra package like inf-clojure or CIDER. Re-implementing those would be a huge waste of time IMO and fracture an already tiny programming community. To me it makes little sense to have support for everything built-in, as this doesn't scale very well. You end up distributing with Emacs a ton of functionality few people are going to use. That's why I've always been fond of having a slim core and lots of packages that people can install on demand. The package already is in NonGNU ELPA, which is pretty good for most users I'd reckon. On Sun, Aug 27, 2023, at 9:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 21:55:23 +0300 > > From: "Bozhidar Batsov" > > Cc: "Danny Freeman" , > > "Emacs Devel" , > > "Manuel Uberti" > > > > Here's another discussion that kind of frustrates me. (I'm the primary maintainer of clojure-mode) We > > already have clojure-mode, we've had it for something like 15 years, I've taken the time to submit to > > NonGNU ELPA. Not to mention that https://github.com/clojure-emacs/ is a big organization with many > > maintainers, so there's little risk about the long-term maintenance of any of the packages there. > > What's the purpose of this discussion? What's the problem that needs to be solved? > > It's very simple, really: Clojure is an important programming > language, and Emacs should have support for it OOTB. That's the > problem we'd like to solve. > >