all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HOME and END keys insert ~
@ 2008-04-24  8:25 jhc0033
       [not found] ` <mailman.10786.1209064324.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: jhc0033 @ 2008-04-24  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm running Cygwin's Emacs in rxvt (no X, or screen right now). HOME
and END keys don't work in Emacs - they just insert ~. These keys work
in bash and Vim, so this looks like an Emacs problem. I did M-x
describe-bindings, and <home> is set correctly to go to the beginning
of a line. Why doesn't it work?!

C-h doesn't work either, but I don't use it so much, I can just type
"M-x help".
Also, I wouldn't mind getting F1-F12 to work.

speed 38400 baud; rows 44; columns 125; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; swtch = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S;
susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1;
time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -
ixoff -iuclc -ixany imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0
bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop echoctl
echoke

* Re: HOME and END keys insert ~
@ 2008-04-24 19:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.10786.1209064324.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-24 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "jhc0033@gmail.com" <jhc0033@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 01:25:17 -0700 (PDT)
>
> I'm running Cygwin's Emacs in rxvt (no X, or screen right now). HOME
> and END keys don't work in Emacs - they just insert ~. These keys work
> in bash and Vim, so this looks like an Emacs problem. I did M-x
> describe-bindings, and <home> is set correctly to go to the beginning
> of a line. Why doesn't it work?!
>
> C-h doesn't work either, but I don't use it so much, I can just type
> "M-x help".
> Also, I wouldn't mind getting F1-F12 to work.

I think you will be better off asking these questions on the Cygwin
list, because all of those keys work for me, both on GNU/Linux and in
the native Windows build of Emacs.  So I think there is something
specific to Cygwin at work here.

* Re: HOME and END keys insert ~
       [not found] ` <mailman.10786.1209064324.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-25  4:24   ` jhc0033
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10799.1209110561.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: jhc0033 @ 2008-04-25  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 24, 12:11 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: "jhc0...@gmail.com" <jhc0...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 01:25:17 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > I'm running Cygwin's Emacs in rxvt (no X, or screen right now). HOME
> > and END keys don't work in Emacs - they just insert ~. These keys work
> > in bash and Vim, so this looks like an Emacs problem. I did M-x
> > describe-bindings, and <home> is set correctly to go to the beginning
> > of a line. Why doesn't it work?!
>
> > C-h doesn't work either, but I don't use it so much, I can just type
> > "M-x help".
> > Also, I wouldn't mind getting F1-F12 to work.
>
> I think you will be better off asking these questions on the Cygwin
> list, because all of those keys work for me, both on GNU/Linux and in
> the native Windows build of Emacs.  So I think there is something
> specific to Cygwin at work here.

BTW, I thought I'd debug the problem and did

M-x describe-key<return><home>

and Emacs just inserted "~" in the buffer that was open. Emacs never
stops disappointing me :-(

* Re: HOME and END keys insert ~
@ 2008-04-25  8:02     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10799.1209110561.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-25  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "jhc0033@gmail.com" <jhc0033@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:24:08 -0700 (PDT)
>
> BTW, I thought I'd debug the problem and did
>
> M-x describe-key<return><home>
>
> and Emacs just inserted "~" in the buffer that was open.

Try "C-h l" (that's the letter ell, not the digit one), or "F1 l", and
you will see what keystrokes Emacs received from the OS.

Btw, is this in a windowed session or in a text terminal/xterm?  If
the latter, perhaps your termcap/terminfo and/or $TERM are not set up
correctly: Emacs relies on them to interpret special keys like HOME
and END.

> Emacs never stops disappointing me :-(

It never disappoints me, but maybe that's because I don't use Cygwin.

* Re: HOME and END keys insert ~
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10799.1209110561.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-25 14:13       ` jhc0033
From: jhc0033 @ 2008-04-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 25, 1:02 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: "jhc0...@gmail.com" <jhc0...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:24:08 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > BTW, I thought I'd debug the problem and did
>
> > M-x describe-key<return><home>
>
> > and Emacs just inserted "~" in the buffer that was open.
>
> Try "C-h l" (that's the letter ell, not the digit one), or "F1 l", and
> you will see what keystrokes Emacs received from the OS.
>
> Btw, is this in a windowed session or in a text terminal/xterm?  If
> the latter, perhaps your termcap/terminfo and/or $TERM are not set up
> correctly: Emacs relies on them to interpret special keys like HOME
> and END.

Without doing anything myself, my TERM was set to xterm and COLORTERM
to rxvt-xpm

Exporting both variables as rxvt-cygwin-native cured many of my
problems with emacs, although I wonder if this belongs in .bashrc.

* Re: HOME and END keys insert ~
@ 2008-04-25 14:35         ` jhc0033
From: jhc0033 @ 2008-04-25 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 25, 7:13 am, "jhc0...@gmail.com" <jhc0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exporting both variables as rxvt-cygwin-native cured many of my
> problems with emacs,

I spoke too soon. HOME and END work, but C-h works as DELETE, Shift-
return can not be rebound. When I ssh to a Linux machine, emacs can
not be started regardless of TERM/COLORTERM setting. Probably more
problems. Emacs...