all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Inserting numeric characters multiple times
@ 2009-01-13 16:08 Corey Foote
From: Corey Foote @ 2009-01-13 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Normally when I want to insert a single character multiple
times I type C-u N and then the character, where N is the number of time I want
it inserted. How would I do this if the character was a number?

Thanks!

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009

* RE: Inserting numeric characters multiple times
@ 2009-01-13 16:15 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-01-13 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Corey Foote', help-gnu-emacs

> Normally when I want to insert a single character multiple
> times I type C-u N and then the character, where N is the
> number of time I want it inserted. How would I do this if
> the character was a number?

`C-u N C-u 5' inserts `5' N times

The Emacs manual is your friend. `C-h r', the `i C-u' takes you to node
`Arguments', at the end of which you see this:

"You can use a numeric argument before a self-inserting character to
insert multiple copies of it.  This is straightforward when the
character is not a digit; for example, `C-u 6 4 a' inserts 64 copies of
the character `a'.  But this does not work for inserting digits; `C-u 6
4 1' specifies an argument of 641.  You can separate the argument from
the digit to insert with another `C-u'; for example, `C-u 6 4 C-u 1'
does insert 64 copies of the character `1'."

* Re: Inserting numeric characters multiple times
@ 2009-01-13 16:23 ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2009-01-13 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Corey Foote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Corey> Normally when I want to insert a single character multiple times
Corey> I type C-u N and then the character, where N is the number of
Corey> time I want it inserted. How would I do this if the character was
Corey> a number?

to print 10 times number 3, you can do

   3 C-u 9 C-x z

definitly hackish ...

--
  Paul

* Re: Inserting numeric characters multiple times
@ 2009-01-13 16:26 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-13 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Corey Foote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.01.2009 um 17:08 schrieb Corey Foote:

> How would I do this if the character was a number?

C-u <number>, mentioned on this list a few days ago ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Indentation?! I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!