It appears that the emacs daemon will terminate with an exit code value '15' once kill-emacs is invoked. If the daemon is run with the example emacs.service systemd file from the source repository, then systemd reports and records an unsuccessful exit: systemd[4908]: Stopping Emacs text editor... sh[415489]: Saving file /home/user/.emacs.d/recentf... sh[415489]: Wrote /home/user/.emacs.d/recentf systemd[4908]: emacs-26.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=15/n/a systemd[4908]: emacs-26.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'. systemd[4908]: Stopped Emacs text editor. systemd[4908]: emacs-26.service: Consumed 1.536s CPU time. The applied patch adds SuccessExitStatus=15 to the emacs.service file, which makes systemd recognize the exit as a successful one. As I was unable to find documentation about the exit codes of emacs, I wonder if there are other exit codes besides 0 and 15 that should/could be considered a successful exit, and hence, should be listed in the example systemd service file SuccessExitStatus configuration? - Florian