all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Underscore in filenames and M-x locate
@ 2007-05-02 14:13 Holger Sparr
       [not found] ` <mailman.157.1178173621.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Holger Sparr @ 2007-05-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

When using M-x locate the default pattern to use is evaluated by
`locate-word-at-point'.

Why isn't the Underscore included in the expression of characters to
skip for a sensible default value?

Possibly the expression could be customized by the user or the active
region could be passed as the search-string.

Holger

* Re: Underscore in filenames and M-x locate
@ 2007-05-03  6:19 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.157.1178173621.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-05-03  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Holger Sparr wrote:
> When using M-x locate the default pattern to use is evaluated by
> `locate-word-at-point'.
>
> Why isn't the Underscore included in the expression of characters to
> skip for a sensible default value?

Uh, because underscore is not a _word_ constituent character?
Still, locate-word-at-point could be changed to use \sw instead
of [-a-zA-Z0-9.]

In any case, apparently it's been that way since Peter Breton's
original implementation on 2000-03-30.

> Possibly the expression could be customized by the user or the active
> region could be passed as the search-string.

You could try:

(require 'locate)
(defalias 'locate-word-at-point 'word-at-point)
(autoload 'word-at-point "thingatpt")

or:

(require 'locate)
(defalias 'locate-word-at-point
	  (lambda () (symbol-name symbol-at-point)))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2007-05-03  7:48   ` Holger Sparr
       [not found]     ` <mailman.210.1178262073.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Holger Sparr @ 2007-05-03  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Holger Sparr wrote:
>> When using M-x locate the default pattern to use is evaluated by
>> `locate-word-at-point'.
>>
>> Why isn't the Underscore included in the expression of characters to
>> skip for a sensible default value?
>
> Uh, because underscore is not a _word_ constituent character?
> Still, locate-word-at-point could be changed to use \sw instead
> of [-a-zA-Z0-9.]

Neither is [.].

>> Possibly the expression could be customized by the user or the active
>> region could be passed as the search-string.
>
> You could try:
>
> (require 'locate)
> (defalias 'locate-word-at-point 'word-at-point)
> (autoload 'word-at-point "thingatpt")
>
> or:
>
> (require 'locate)
> (defalias 'locate-word-at-point
> 	  (lambda () (symbol-name symbol-at-point)))

Of course I can do that. But if "_" is a proper character in filenames
then why not change the default.

Thanks for your answer.

@ 2007-05-04  6:54     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.210.1178262073.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-05-04  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Holger Sparr wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>
>> Holger Sparr wrote:
>>> When using M-x locate the default pattern to use is evaluated by
>>> `locate-word-at-point'.
>>>
>>> Why isn't the Underscore included in the expression of characters to
>>> skip for a sensible default value?
>> Uh, because underscore is not a _word_ constituent character?
>> Still, locate-word-at-point could be changed to use \sw instead
>> of [-a-zA-Z0-9.]
>
> Neither is [.].

Indeed, nor is [-].

>>> Possibly the expression could be customized by the user or the active
>>> region could be passed as the search-string.
>> You could try:
>>
>> (require 'locate)
>> (defalias 'locate-word-at-point 'word-at-point)
>> (autoload 'word-at-point "thingatpt")
>>
>> or:
>>
>> (require 'locate)
>> (defalias 'locate-word-at-point
>> 	  (lambda () (symbol-name symbol-at-point)))
>
> Of course I can do that. But if "_" is a proper character in filenames
> then why not change the default.

I guess I took "word" in the name of the function too literally.  But if
you want to match any valid file name character, it's simpler to exclude
the few invalid characters (NULL, slash, perhaps colon, etc. depending
on the platform).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Proposal for new default (was: Underscore in filenames and M-x locate)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.210.1178262073.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-04 10:29       ` Holger Sparr
From: Holger Sparr @ 2007-05-04 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The addressed issue in the original post is really a minor problem.
Still I think, that including the Underscore character would be right
when using M-x locate with locate-word-at-point for a sensible default.

To whom do I have to direct my proposal?  Is the author to be contacted
or should this be mentioned in another group/mailing list?

Thanks,
Holger

* Re: Proposal for new default (was: Underscore in filenames and M-x locate)
@ 2007-05-04 14:08         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-05-04 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Sparr; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.05.2007 um 12:29 schrieb Holger Sparr:

> To whom do I have to direct my proposal?  Is the author to be
> contacted
> or should this be mentioned in another group/mailing list?

I'd write to the author. If, in this case, he accepts the change,
then others on the GNU Emacs developers list will comment on it.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete      <\