all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x gdb doesn't work anymore with Emacs 23.1.50.1
@ 2009-07-28  8:19 Francis Moreau
       [not found] ` <mailman.3309.1248771149.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-07-28  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

In my previous life (Emacs 22), I used to call gdb within emacs by
using "M-x gdb" where emacs was running in console mode.

Now doing the same still in console mode, I get: "Cannot open load
file: gdb-ui".

Doing "M-x gud-gdb" still works but I'd like to use the emacs debugger
interface.

Could anybody help me ?

Thanks

* M-x gdb doesn't work anymore with Emacs 23.1.50.1
@ 2009-07-28  8:52 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found] ` <mailman.3309.1248771149.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2009-07-28  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Now doing the same still in console mode, I get: "Cannot open load
 > file: gdb-ui".

The file gdb-ui.el has been replaced by gdb-mi.el.  You've probably got
an old/inconsistent autoloads file (loaddefs.el).  Try rebuilding from
scratch with "make bootstrap".

* Re: M-x gdb doesn't work anymore with Emacs 23.1.50.1
       [not found] ` <mailman.3309.1248771149.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-28 14:45   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-07-28 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 28, 10:52 am, nick...@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) wrote:
>  > Now doing the same still in console mode, I get: "Cannot open load
>  > file: gdb-ui".
>
> The file gdb-ui.el has been replaced by gdb-mi.el.  You've probably got
> an old/inconsistent autoloads file (loaddefs.el).  Try rebuilding from
> scratch with "make bootstrap".

You were right !

But it still doesn't work: now when starting gdb and putting a
breakpoint in a specific function like this:

(gdb) b animation_stop
Breakpoint 1 at 0x2985dcfe: file core.c, line 518.
(gdb) list :1
No source file named .

and the breakpoint seems to be not set since the program is never
stopped. Of course doing the same in a terminal works, except I
haven't passed the '-i=mi' switch.

One other thing I noticed, is that I have an alias on my gdb command:

alias gdb='gdb -x ~/.mygdbinit'

but it looks like when emacs is starting gdb, it ignores the alias.

Thanks

* Re: M-x gdb doesn't work anymore with Emacs 23.1.50.1
@ 2009-07-29  9:17     ` Dmitry Dzhus
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2009-07-29  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Francis Moreau

Francis Moreau wrote:

> But it still doesn't work: now when starting gdb and putting a
> breakpoint in a specific function like this:
>
> (gdb) b animation_stop
> Breakpoint 1 at 0x2985dcfe: file core.c, line 518.
> (gdb) list :1
> No source file named .

I've installed the patch which fixes that.

This code is under development, see http://emacswiki.org/emacs/GDB-MI/.

> One other thing I noticed, is that I have an alias on my gdb command:
>
> alias gdb='gdb -x ~/.mygdbinit'

I don't think that Emacs considers your aliases when running external
programs. Customize `gud-gdb-command-name` if you wish.
--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: M-x gdb doesn't work anymore with Emacs 23.1.50.1
@ 2009-07-29  9:58       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-07-29  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 29, 11:17 am, Dmitry Dzhus <d...@sphinx.net.ru> wrote:
> Francis Moreau wrote:
> > But it still doesn't work: now when starting gdb and putting a
> > breakpoint in a specific function like this:
>
> > (gdb) b animation_stop
> > Breakpoint 1 at 0x2985dcfe: file core.c, line 518.
> > (gdb) list :1
> > No source file named .
>
> I've installed the patch which fixes that.

hmm, sorry but I don't understand, what do you mean by this:

Have your patch already hit emacs CVS repo ? or is the patch currently
only in the hg repo and in that case could you give me the revision of
the commit which fixes it ?

> This code is under development, seehttp://emacswiki.org/emacs/GDB-MI/.
>
> > One other thing I noticed, is that I have an alias on my gdb command:
>
> > alias gdb='gdb -x ~/.mygdbinit'
>
> I don't think that Emacs considers your aliases when running external
> programs. Customize `gud-gdb-command-name` if you wish.

Well, that sad. It's typically where emacs should consider any
aliases...

BTW, I also noticed that emacs already does the wrong thing with 'M-x
dirs' in shell mode. In that case it considers alias where it
shouldn't since this command relies on the output of dirs(1) without
any options.

thanks