all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and gettext
@ 2003-12-06  0:18 Jonathan Gonzalez V.
From: Jonathan Gonzalez V. @ 2003-12-06  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why Emacs don't use gettext to have translations ??
or use another way to translate ??

And if exist translations, How I can help to translate to spanish ??

Bye
You have to run as fast as you can just to stay where you are.
If you want to get anywhere, you'll have to run much faster.
		-- Lewis Carroll

* Re: Emacs and gettext
@ 2003-12-06  9:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-06  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: zeus@emacs.cl (Jonathan Gonzalez V.)
> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:18:05 -0300
>
> Why Emacs don't use gettext to have translations ??

Several reasons:

  - we need a Lisp binding of gettext to translate messages embedded
    in the Lisp code
  - Emacs has its own code to handle non-ASCII characters which seems
    like a waste to ignore
  - no one stepped forward to work on this