all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Key bindings
@ 2007-03-29 10:19 SteveFKI
From: SteveFKI @ 2007-03-29 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to modify my .emacs file, so the HOME key behaves as follows;

HOME = Go to start of line
C-HOME = Go to start of buffer

My .emacs file looks like this

(custom-set-variables
   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
   '(setq debug-on-error t)
   '(case-fold-search t)
   '(current-language-environment "Latin-9")
   '(default-input-method "latin-9-prefix")
   '(hungry-delete t)
   ;(setq delete-key-deletes-forward t)
   '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock)))
	(setq indent-tabs-mode-nil)
	(mouse-wheel-mode t)
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 )

;; My modifications

   (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t)

   ;; C-Language customising
   (setq standard-indent 3)

   ;; My C Style
   (defconst myCStyle
     '(
       (c-offsets-alist . ((case-label . 3)
			   (substatement-open . 0)
			   (defun-block-intro . 3)
			   (statement-case-intro . 3)
			   (statement-block-intro . 3)
			   (topmost-intro . -1)
			   ))

     )
   "My C Programming Style")

   (defun myCModeCommonHook ()
      (c-add-style "personal" myCStyle t)
   )

   ;; Hook my C Style to the standard one
   (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'myCModeCommonHook)

  ;; (c-add-style "myCStyle" '("bsd" (c-basic-offset . 3)))
  ;; (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook '(lambda () (c-set-style "myCStyle")))

   ;; Key bindings
   ;; C-z is Undo
   (define-key global-map "\C-z" 'undo)
   ;; F5 - goto line
   (define-key global-map [f5] 'goto-line)
   ;; F6 - Replace String
   (define-key global-map [f6] 'replace-string)
   ;; F7 - Search forward for ^L (function breaks)
   (define-key global-map [f7] "\C-e\C-s\C-q\C-l")
   ;; C-F7 - Search backward for ^L (function breaks)
   (define-key global-map [C-f7] "\C-a\C-r\C-q\C-l")

;;   (define-key global-map [home] 'beginning-of-line)
   (global-set-key [home] 'beginning-of-line)
   (define-key global-map [end] 'end-of-line)
   (define-key global-map [C-home] 'beginning-of-buffer)
   (define-key global-map [C-end] 'end-of-buffer)

I think this should work, and as you will see I have tried two ways to map
the HOME key. However, every time I press HOME it opens Search in the
mini-buffer (as if it is mapped to C-s). The END key works fine.

It seems to me then that something else is mapping the key, and overriding
my mapping, but I can't see what.

Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thanks

[parent not found: <mailman.1327.1122065988.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Key bindings
@ 2005-07-22 19:32 Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2005-07-22 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello emacs gurus and wannabees ;-)

I got a new problem...in the computer at the university, the meta-key is on
"alt", at my hoem pc its on "esc". Is there a simple way to change it to
"alt" for my home pc, too?
My system is a gentoo-linux. But I really got no idea about keyboards.

greetings,

bienchen

[parent not found: <mailman.7825.1055479806.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* key bindings
@ 2003-06-13  4:49 john doe
From: john doe @ 2003-06-13  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Still trying to get two spaces between periods and
sentences; trying another approach now using key
bindings. I've tried the following in my dotfile:

(global-set-key "." ".  ")

But, this does not work. I get the following error in
the mode-line:

After 0 kbd macro iterations: Variable binding depth
exceeds max-specpdl-size

This is only a problem when I use the same character
in the new string that I am trying to set globally.
That is, if I used:

(global-set-key "p" ".  ") it works fine.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

>Greetings-
>
>I'm in the process of writing a manuscript whose
>format is required to have two spaces between
>sentences (ie. ieter periods, exclamation marks,
>etc.).  I'm trying to lessen this task by
>facilitating
>the "abbrev-mode".  However, I cannot get global
>expansion to recognize spaces after, say a period.
>Is
>this possible.  Much thanks in advance for any help
>on
>this topic.
>
>MD

http://calendar.yahoo.com

* RE: key bindings
@ 2002-12-13 21:20 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-12-13 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have seen similar key patterns for cursor movement in other software.
If I remember correctly WordStar, the word processing program, used the
pattern i, j, k and m for cursor movement.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Office:  2122                  Phone:  8945
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-

From: sdieselil @ 2002-12-13 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello to everyone!
Recently I first downloaded Emacs (windows version for now). I was
very impressed by its power but the most interesting feature for me
was  system of key bindings which was completely different from
CUA-windows style. However I don't want to say that it's better than
windows bindings. But I find cursor movement in Emacs much more
powerful because it doesn't use keypad, which is placed so far from
main keyboard block on standard 101-key keyboards. C-b, C-f, C-n, C-p
are much more quickly to use (thought no so intuitive) than keypad
arrow keys.

On the other side arrow keys and C-z, C-x, C-c, C-v (for clipboard
operations) are still very comfortable for me so I decide to make a
mixed key bindings map: I propose to forget about keypad and instead
implement it using C-<letter> keys but leave CUA key bindings for
clipboard operations. For example , this is the most suitable map for
me: C-j is left, C-l is right, C-i is up, C-, is down (since it looks
like keypad but can be quickly reached by hand during speed typing).
+---+---+---+
|   | I |   |
++--++--++--++
 | J |   | L |	 - looks like oblique keypad
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |   | , |   |
   +---+---+---+

Does anybody know something about this system ?

Or you can convince me that traditional Emacs system is better?

* key bindings
@ 2002-11-01 16:20 Jeff Rancier
From: Jeff Rancier @ 2002-11-01 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All.

I have the function redo bound to C-M-/, in my .emacs as follows:

(global-set-key [M-C-/] 'redo)

The default binding for that sequence is dabbrev-completion, which I don't
use, so I thought I'd override it.  But, when I execute the key sequence,
emacs runs dabbrev-completion.  When I C-h k it reports dabbrev-completion,
which makes sense, but when I manually run redo, emacs reports:

You can run the command 'redo' with <M-C-/>

Something appears confused (other than me!).  Can someone tell me the
correct way to perform this, and have the binding persist?

BTW, I'm running:

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of 2002-03-19 on buffy

Jeff