all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Printing permissions problem under Win7
@ 2010-12-28  6:51 Scott Meyers
From: Scott Meyers @ 2010-12-28  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been running Emacs 21.3.1 under WinXP, and I can print to a network
printer without difficulty using print-buffer.  I have the following in
my .emacs file:

(setq printer-name "//Patroklos/HP LaserJet 6L")

I've just installed Emacs 23.2.1 (a newer version than above) under
Win7, and with the same line in my .emacs file, attempts to use
print-buffer fail, and the following appears in my messages buffer:

Spooling with options (page headers are not supported)...
direct-print-region-helper: Opening output file: permission denied,
//Patroklos/HP LaserJet 6L

Printing from other applications to this printer on the Win7 machine
works fine.  Running Emacs as Administrator does not help.

Any idea what I need to do to enable printing from this version of Emacs
on this OS?

Thanks,

Scott

* Re: Printing permissions problem under Win7
@ 2010-12-28 18:00 ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6.1293559851.18542.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-12-28 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Scott Meyers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/12/28 Scott Meyers <NeverRead@aristeia.com>:
> I've been running Emacs 21.3.1 under WinXP, and I can print to a network
> printer without difficulty using print-buffer.  I have the following in my
> .emacs file:
>
> (setq printer-name "//Patroklos/HP LaserJet 6L")
>
> I've just installed Emacs 23.2.1 (a newer version than above) under Win7,
> and with the same line in my .emacs file, attempts to use print-buffer fail,
> and the following appears in my messages buffer:
>
> Spooling with options (page headers are not supported)...
> direct-print-region-helper: Opening output file: permission denied,
> //Patroklos/HP LaserJet 6L
>
> Printing from other applications to this printer on the Win7 machine works
> fine.  Running Emacs as Administrator does not help.
>
> Any idea what I need to do to enable printing from this version of Emacs on
> this OS?

I'm probably mistaken but shouldn't that be \\Patroklos\...?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Printing permissions problem under Win7
@ 2010-12-28 18:10   ` Scott Meyers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6.1293559851.18542.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Scott Meyers @ 2010-12-28 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/28/2010 10:00 AM, Deniz Dogan wrote:
> I'm probably mistaken but shouldn't that be \\Patroklos\...?

According to
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Windows-Printing.html,

> You can also use a printer shared by another machine by setting
> printer-name to the UNC share name for that printer—for example,
> "//joes_pc/hp4si". (It doesn't matter whether you use forward slashes
> or backslashes here.)

Also, if you go the backslash route, you have to quote the backslashes,
yielding something like

   \\\\Patroklos\\...

I tried it :-)

Any other suggestions?

@ 2010-12-29  9:24     ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2010-12-29  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 28, 11:10 pm, Scott Meyers <NeverR...@aristeia.com> wrote:
> On 12/28/2010 10:00 AM, Deniz Dogan wrote:
>
> > I'm probably mistaken but shouldn't that be \\Patroklos\...?
>
> According tohttp://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Windows-Prin...,
>
> > You can also use a printer shared by another machine by setting
> > printer-name to the UNC share name for that printer for example,
> > "//joes_pc/hp4si". (It doesn't matter whether you use forward slashes
> > or backslashes here.)
>
> Also, if you go the backslash route, you have to quote the backslashes,
> yielding something like
>
>    \\\\Patroklos\\...
>
> I tried it :-)
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Scott

Ive not used a network printer with emacs23 and windows

But this is elisp setup when I used it with 22 (printer-name is
probably redundant)
Basically it prints through ghostscript which needs to be available of
course

(require 'printing)
(setq printer-name "//path/to/networkPrinter")
(setq ps-printer-name t)
(setenv "GS_LIB" "C:/Program Files/gs/gs8.63/lib")
(setq ps-lpr-command "C:/Program Files/gs/gs8.63/bin/gswin32c.exe")
(setq ps-lpr-switches '( "-dNOPAUSE" "-dBATCH" "-sDEVICE=mswinpr2"))