all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I make an Emacs-Lisp function available via M-x ?
@ 2006-11-29 11:58 leonel.gayard
From: leonel.gayard @ 2006-11-29 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've recently started to add some Lisp functions to my .emacs file. For
instance, these two functions change the colors in Emacs, with white
fonts over black background or vice-versa:

;;;###autoload
(defun black-on-white()
    (and
         (set-foreground-color "black")
         (set-background-color "white")))

;;;###autoload
(defun white-on-black()
    (and
         (set-foreground-color "white")
         (set-background-color "black")))

Now, I would like to call these functions by typing M-x white-on-black,
but they simply are not available there. The apropos command (M-x
apropos) acknowledges that they exist, but when I type M-x
black-on-white, all I get is "no match".

Any ideas ?

[]'s
Leonel

* Re: How do I make an Emacs-Lisp function available via M-x ?
@ 2006-11-29 12:21 ` Le TeXnicien de Surface
From: Le TeXnicien de Surface @ 2006-11-29 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

leonel.gayard@gmail.com écrivait :

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently started to add some Lisp functions to my .emacs file. For
> instance, these two functions change the colors in Emacs, with white
> fonts over black background or vice-versa:
>
> ;;;###autoload
> (defun black-on-white()
>     (and
>          (set-foreground-color "black")
>          (set-background-color "white")))
>
> ;;;###autoload
> (defun white-on-black()
>     (and
>          (set-foreground-color "white")
>          (set-background-color "black")))
>
> Now, I would like to call these functions by typing M-x white-on-black,
> but they simply are not available there. The apropos command (M-x
> apropos) acknowledges that they exist, but when I type M-x
> black-on-white, all I get is "no match".
>
> Any ideas ?
Just use
(interactive)
like this
(defun white-on-black()
  (interactive)
     (and
          (set-foreground-color "white")
          (set-background-color "black")))
/et/ /voilà/!
Hih.

--
Le TeXnicien de Surface

* Re: How do I make an Emacs-Lisp function available via M-x ?
@ 2006-11-29 14:18 ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-11-29 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs