all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs can't load some files installed from the package manager
@ 2014-02-21 19:41 strattonbrazil
       [not found] ` <mailman.15731.1393013621.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: strattonbrazil @ 2014-02-21 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I setup emacs on a new Ubuntu 12.04 build.  I added the ppa to get the newest 24.* emacs build to get newer packages, but I'm having a hard time turning on some features.  For example, it chokes loading git-gutter.  It seems to happen on a few of the packages actually like helm-ls-git, too, but others like helm-ls-git also fail with the error below.  I'm not sure why some work and other don't as they were all installed with the package manager.

In my .emacs file

(require 'git-gutter+)

On startup...

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/home/josh.stratton/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, git-gutter+

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

$ ls ~/.emacs.d/elpa/
archives/                      git-commit-mode-20140125.1553/ git-gutter-readme.txt          scala-mode2-20131115.2347/
coffee-mode-0.4.1.1/           git-gutter-20140116.317/       git-gutter+-readme.txt
coffee-mode-readme.txt         git-gutter+-20140205.802/      helm-ls-git-20140104.657/

* Re: emacs can't load some files installed from the package manager
@ 2014-02-21 20:13 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <mailman.15731.1393013621.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-02-21 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

strattonbrazil@gmail.com writes:

> File error: Cannot open load file, git-gutter+

Did you `package-initialize'?  It is mandatory when you explicitly
`require' installed packages - see

  (info "(emacs) Package Installation")

Another reason for that behavior can be unsatisfied dependencies - in
that case you should find messages like "Couldn't activate package ..."
in *Messages*".

Michael.

@ 2014-02-21 20:48   ` strattonbrazil
From: strattonbrazil @ 2014-02-21 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

No, I didn't.  I accidentally commented it out with other packages I hadn't yet installed.  Adding it back in solved it.  Thank you.

(require 'package)
(package-initialize) <-- added this