all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mix of completing-read and read-string
@ 2009-02-07 20:22 Johan Andersson
From: Johan Andersson @ 2009-02-07 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I'm looking for a function that is a mix of read-string and completing-read.
I want completion and I want to be able to input anything, such as spaces.
Is there any such function or do I have to write one myself?

Thanks!

* RE: Mix of completing-read and read-string
@ 2009-02-08  4:09 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-08  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Johan Andersson', help-gnu-emacs

> I'm looking for a function that is a mix of read-string
> and completing-read. I want completion and I want to be
> able to input anything, such as spaces. Is there any such
> function or do I have to write one myself?

1. Use lax completion (`completing-read' with nil as the REQUIRE-MATCH argument.

2. Use a keymap that has SPC bound to `self-insert-command'.

You can do #2 by binding `minibuffer-local-completion-map' (so it is restored
afterward), and doing (define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map " "
'self-insert-command).

IOW, something like this:

(defun my-read-string-completing (prompt collection
                                  &optional predicate
                                  init hist def i-i-m)
  "..."
  (let ((minibuffer-local-completion-map
         minibuffer-local-completion-map))
    (define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map
                " " 'self-insert-command)
    (completing-read prompt collection
                     predicate nil init def hist i-i-m)))

You would call the function with a COLLECTION argument that is a list of strings
(Emacs 22+) or a list of singleton string lists (all versions). E.g.:

(my-read-string-completing "String: "
  '(("alpha") ("beta") ("gamma")))

(If you use Icicles, `icicle-read-string-completing' does this.)

* Re: Mix of completing-read and read-string
@ 2009-02-08  9:49   ` Johan Andersson
From: Johan Andersson @ 2009-02-08  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks a lot Drew. Exactly what I was looking for!

@ 2009-02-08 16:07   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-02-08 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>> I'm looking for a function that is a mix of read-string
>> and completing-read. I want completion and I want to be
>> able to input anything, such as spaces. Is there any such
>> function or do I have to write one myself?
>
> 1. Use lax completion (`completing-read' with nil as the REQUIRE-MATCH argument.
>
> 2. Use a keymap that has SPC bound to `self-insert-command'.
>
> You can do #2 by binding `minibuffer-local-completion-map' (so it is restored
> afterward), and doing (define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map " "
> 'self-insert-command).
>
> IOW, something like this:
>
> (defun my-read-string-completing (prompt collection
>                                   &optional predicate
>                                   init hist def i-i-m)
>   "..."
>   (let ((minibuffer-local-completion-map
>          minibuffer-local-completion-map))

(copy-keymap minibuffer-local-completion-map) would be safer, eh?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* RE: Mix of completing-read and read-string
@ 2009-02-08 18:44     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-08 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kevin Rodgers', help-gnu-emacs

> >   (let ((minibuffer-local-completion-map
> >          minibuffer-local-completion-map))
>
> (copy-keymap minibuffer-local-completion-map) would be safer, eh?

Yes. In case of error or quitting (`C-g') during completion, that will prevent
possibly leaving behind a SPC binding as `self-insert-command'.

@ 2009-02-08 19:32       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-02-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>>>   (let ((minibuffer-local-completion-map
>>>          minibuffer-local-completion-map))
>> (copy-keymap minibuffer-local-completion-map) would be safer, eh?
>
> Yes. In case of error or quitting (`C-g') during completion, that will prevent
> possibly leaving behind a SPC binding as `self-insert-command'.
>
> (let ((minibuffer-local-completion-map
>        (copy-keymap minibuffer-local-completion-map)))

Actually, I was considering the possibility that define-key would
destructively modify the keymap:

     (define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map
                 " " 'self-insert-command)

It doesn't happen in emacs -Q, but if SPC were already bound or
minibuffer-local-completion-map were a full keymap...

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* RE: Mix of completing-read and read-string
@ 2009-02-17 16:51         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-17 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kevin Rodgers', help-gnu-emacs,
	'Johan Andersson'

>>   (let ((minibuffer-local-completion-map
>>          minibuffer-local-completion-map))
>
> (copy-keymap minibuffer-local-completion-map) would be safer, eh?

This is probably the best approach; it is used in Emacs sources:

(let ((minibuffer-local-completion-map
       (let ((map  (make-sparse-keymap)))
         (set-keymap-parent map minibuffer-local-completion-map)
         (define-key map " " 'self-insert-command)
         (define-key map "?" 'self-insert-command)
         map)))
  (completing-read ...))