all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copy paste problem (jumbled & limited length) in emacs-nox only
@ 2008-10-16  6:43 David Garamond
From: David Garamond @ 2008-10-16  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

I have experienced this strange problem for years, and it caused me
mild/medium annoyance, but so far haven't understood the cause.

When pasting a rather large (> +- 6.75K characters if I measure it)
buffer using into a KDE Konsole terminal (or xterm), only about 6.75K
characters get posted, and the weird thing is sometimes the pasted
characters get jumbled and missing in between.

This doesn't happen with other editors like joe or vi.

The pasted buffer is just some normal ASCII characters.

I have tried this locally and pasting into an SSH session on a remote
server, same results.

I have tried removing my ~/.emacs, same results.

Both method of copy-pasting (the middle click and the Shift-Insert in
Konsole) yield same results.

XEmacs, on the other hand, works *fine*. Unfortunately I work more
often in emacs -nw.

Linux, Debian Lenny (4.1), Emacs 21 and 22, KDE 3.5.

Any clue?

Regards,
dave

* Re: copy paste problem (jumbled & limited length) in emacs-nox only
@ 2009-12-14 19:06 ` James Mills
From: James Mills @ 2009-12-14 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

David Garamond-2 wrote:

> When pasting a rather large (> +- 6.75K characters if I measure it)
> buffer using into a KDE Konsole terminal (or xterm), only about 6.75K
> characters get posted, and the weird thing is sometimes the pasted
> characters get jumbled and missing in between.

I would just like to add my voice here.  I am a relative Emacs newbie, and
do most of my work from the terminal.  I am experiencing the exact same
problems.  I am running Ubuntu 8.04, and using Emacs 22.1.1 and 23.0.60.1.
The GTK versions work fine, but "emacs -nw" results in the problem as
described above.  I have tried gnome-terminal as well as konsole.  Vim and
pico both work as expected.

Thanks,
James

* Re: copy paste problem (jumbled & limited length) in emacs-nox only
@ 2009-12-14 20:36   ` James Mills
From: James Mills @ 2009-12-14 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM, James Mills <jameswmills@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would just like to add my voice here.  I am a relative Emacs newbie, and
> do most of my work from the terminal.  I am experiencing the exact same
> problems.  I am running Ubuntu 8.04, and using Emacs 22.1.1 and 23.0.60.1.
> The GTK versions work fine, but "emacs -nw" results in the problem as
> described above.  I have tried gnome-terminal as well as konsole.  Vim and
> pico both work as expected.
>
> Thanks,
> James

After a bit more search and research, I am able to clarify my problem
a bit more.  I was able to configure the local emacs sessions to
consult the clipboard with the:

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

setting.

This is great, as now my local sessions can use the clipboard with
normal yank operations.  However, this is a local-only fix, and does
not really address the root of the problem I am experiencing.  The
problem is that, for whatever reason, emacs is not accepting input
correctly via the terminal's paste function.  As stated before, vim,
pico, nano, and joe all accept the terminal paste input as expected
(both local and remote instances).

I would be perfectly happy with the enable-clipboard settings above,
if a good deal of my work was not via ssh on a remote machine.  Of
course, no amount of enabling the clipboard will help me there :)

Thanks in advance.  I hope someone can help me out with this.

James Mills