all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problems configuring company-mode for auto completion key banding
@ 2017-02-13  5:14 Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-02-13  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,
I had used Emacs about 10 years back .
After that there were severl things due to which I could not continue
using it.
However now I wish to use it for my python programming.
I am a blind user and I use emacspeak with emacs for all my activities.
I have tryed configuring company-mode with Python.
Basically I use elpy-mode which intern uses company-mode.
The problem is that although default auto completion behavior  is
perfectly good for sighted users, for me it is too much speech.
So what I was trying to do is to set company-mode not to auto complete
automatically.
I was trying to set C-tab for auto competion.

But it still auto completes which I just type 3 chars.

Here is my init.el file:
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/"))
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("elpy" .
"https://jorgenschaefer.github.io/packages/"))

(setq company-idle-delay nil)
;;(global-set-key [C-tab] (quote company-complete))
(global-set-key "C-tab" 'company-complete)
(global-set-key [f10] (quote python-mode))
;;(package-initialize)
;;(elpy-enable)

Note that I am very new to setting such things in Emacs.
So I have to manauly start python-mode when I open a .py file.  I am
aware this is not correct but can't see what's wrong.
Would be happy if any one gives some tips or pointers or some example.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

* Re: problems configuring company-mode for auto completion key banding
@ 2017-02-13 15:02 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2017-02-13 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnakant, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Krishnakant,

On 13.02.2017 07:14, Krishnakant wrote:

> The problem is that although default auto completion behavior  is
> perfectly good for sighted users, for me it is too much speech.

That's understandable. Since you are a blink user, though, I'm not sure
if you can really benefit from the popup-like UI.

Maybe try and see if C-M-i works as well for you, and if it doesn't,
request that elpy integrates with completion-at-point-functions.

> So what I was trying to do is to set company-mode not to auto complete
> automatically.

The variable that controls it is company-idle-delay. Try:

(setq company-idle-delay nil)

You can find all the customization variables by typing 'M-x
customize-group RET company'.

> Note that I am very new to setting such things in Emacs.
> So I have to manauly start python-mode when I open a .py file.  I am
> aware this is not correct but can't see what's wrong.

Emacs should enter python-mode by default in .py files. If it doesn't,
what major mode does it use? You can find out by evaluating
'major-mode'. Press M-: to evaluate an expression.

* Re: problems configuring company-mode for auto completion key banding
@ 2017-02-13 20:28 ` hector
From: hector @ 2017-02-13 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnakant; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:44:59AM +0530, Krishnakant wrote:

> Note that I am very new to setting such things in Emacs.
> So I have to manauly start python-mode when I open a .py file.  I am
> aware this is not correct but can't see what's wrong.

I can't figure why either. Have you checked the variable auto-mode-alist?
It should contain the element ("\\.py\\'" . python-mode)

* Re: problems configuring company-mode for auto completion key banding
@ 2017-02-14  6:37   ` Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-02-14  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov, help-gnu-emacs

Hi and thank you for your help.

On Monday 13 February 2017 08:32 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Hi Krishnakant,
>
> On 13.02.2017 07:14, Krishnakant wrote:
>
>> The problem is that although default auto completion behavior  is
>> perfectly good for sighted users, for me it is too much speech.
>
> That's understandable. Since you are a blink user, though, I'm not
> sure if you can really benefit from the popup-like UI.

I can certainly use the dropdown because I choose from the list using
arrow keys.  All I need is that it happens one only when I want it.
> Maybe try and see if C-M-i works as well for you, and if it doesn't,
> request that elpy integrates with completion-at-point-functions.
>
>> So what I was trying to do is to set company-mode not to auto
>> complete automatically.
>
> The variable that controls it is company-idle-delay. Try:
>
> (setq company-idle-delay nil)

Where should I have it?
Should I put it just any where in my .init.el file?
> You can find all the customization variables by typing 'M-x
> customize-group RET company'.
>
>> Note that I am very new to setting such things in Emacs.
>> So I have to manauly start python-mode when I open a .py file. I am
>> aware this is not correct but can't see what's wrong.
>
> Emacs should enter python-mode by default in .py files. If it doesn't,
> what major mode does it use? You can find out by evaluating
> 'major-mode'. Press M-: to evaluate an expression.

Yes I will do that.
Thanks a million.
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.