all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Look for input method for mathematics letter.
@ 2012-07-10 19:45 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-07-10 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

UTF define certain range for especially styled Latin alphabet:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols

How they can be typed in Emacs?

--
Best regards!

* RE: Look for input method for mathematics letter.
@ 2012-07-10 20:00 ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4561.1342006770.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-07-10 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Oleksandr Gavenko', help-gnu-emacs

> UTF define certain range for especially styled Latin alphabet:
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols
> How they can be typed in Emacs?

`C-x 8 RET'  (command `ucs-insert')

See also:

* http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/ucs-cmds.el
  (e.g. use (ucsc-make-commands "^math")
  to create commands to enter individual Math symbols
* http://emacswiki.org/emacs/UnicodeEncoding
* Emacs manual, node `Inserting Text'

* Re: Look for input method for mathematics letter.
       [not found] <mailman.4506.1341949555.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-11  3:59 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2012-07-11  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 10, 12:45 pm, Oleksandr Gavenko <gaven...@gmail.com> wrote:
> UTF define certain range for especially styled Latin alphabet:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols
>
> How they can be typed in Emacs?

i wrote a mode for this
〈Emacs Unicode Math Symbols Input Mode (xmsi-mode)〉
http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/xmsi-math-symbols-input.html

though i ask for donation. (it's not difficult to find on the net,
however)

but in any case, you can easily define keys in emacs in so many ways.
See

〈How to Create a APL or Math Symbols Keyboard Layout〉
http://xahlee.info/kbd/creating_apl_keyboard_layout.html

 Xah

* Re: Look for input method for mathematics letter.
@ 2012-07-11 10:13 ` Francesco Mazzoli
From: Francesco Mazzoli @ 2012-07-11 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:45:18 +0300,
Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
> UTF define certain range for especially styled Latin alphabet:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols
>
> How they can be typed in Emacs?

agda2-mode comes with a very convenient latex input mode that lets you insert
symbols as you would in latex (e.g. \rightarrow - or abbreviated \r).

If you don't want to install Agda (which is understandable) I think that this
file will work:
http://code.haskell.org/Agda/src/data/emacs-mode/agda-input.el .

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt

* Re: Look for input method for mathematics letter.
@ 2012-07-11 11:38   ` suvayu ali
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4561.1342006770.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-07-11 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Oleksandr Gavenko

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> UTF define certain range for especially styled Latin alphabet:
>>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols
>> How they can be typed in Emacs?
>
> `C-x 8 RET'  (command `ucs-insert')
>
> See also:
>
> * http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/ucs-cmds.el
>   (e.g. use (ucsc-make-commands "^math")
>   to create commands to enter individual Math symbols
> * http://emacswiki.org/emacs/UnicodeEncoding
> * Emacs manual, node `Inserting Text'

I use the `TeX' input method (C-x RET C-\ TeX RET) to input basic math
symbols. Some examples: \exists ∃, \forall ∀, \in ∈, \notin ∉, \int ∫,
\infty ∞, \to → and so on. It even does basic superscript and subscripts
like this: (a + b)² = a² + b² + 2̣̣ab, H₂O.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

@ 2012-07-11 11:44     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2012-07-11 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>>> UTF define certain range for especially styled Latin alphabet:
>>>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_alphanumeric_symbols
>>> How they can be typed in Emacs?
>>
>> `C-x 8 RET'  (command `ucs-insert')
>>
>> See also:
>>
>> * http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/ucs-cmds.el
>>   (e.g. use (ucsc-make-commands "^math")
>>   to create commands to enter individual Math symbols
>> * http://emacswiki.org/emacs/UnicodeEncoding
>> * Emacs manual, node `Inserting Text'
>>

> I use the `TeX' input method (C-x RET C-\ TeX RET) to input basic math
> symbols. Some examples: \exists ∃, \forall ∀, \in ∈, \notin ∉, \int ∫,
> \infty ∞, \to → and so on. It even does basic superscript and subscripts
> like this: (a + b)² = a² + b² + 2̣̣ab, H₂O.
>
> Hope this helps.

Alternatively, you can map those characters with xmodmap directly on
your keyboard. http://paste.lisp.org/display/123256

   ∀α,∃β, α∈[0,2] ∧ β∈[3,5] ⇒ α³ ≤ β²