all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* setting non-user variables
@ 2017-05-31 14:26 Héctor Lahoz
From: Héctor Lahoz @ 2017-05-31 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Recently I upgraded my Emacs to version 24 (I don't like to live on
the edge :-) and noticed that I can't use set-variable to set
this buffer-local variable anymore. What should I do?
Why was this changed?

;; before I did:
;; set-variable RET mpkg-master-file RET "file.txt" RET
(make-variable-buffer-local
 (defvar mpkg-master-file))

Do I need an interactive command to set the variable?

(defun set-master-file (filename)
  (interative "fFilename: ")
  (setq mpkg-master-file filename))

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-05-31 14:45 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-31 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Héctor Lahoz" <hectorlahoz@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently I upgraded my Emacs to version 24 (I don't like to live on
> the edge :-) and noticed that I can't use set-variable to set
> this buffer-local variable anymore. What should I do?
> Why was this changed?
>
> ;; before I did:
> ;; set-variable RET mpkg-master-file RET "file.txt" RET
> (make-variable-buffer-local
>  (defvar mpkg-master-file))
>
> Do I need an interactive command to set the variable?
>
> (defun set-master-file (filename)
>   (interative "fFilename: ")
>   (setq mpkg-master-file filename))

... what? :)

Try

    (set-variable 'mpkg-master-file "file.txt" t)

with t as in MAKE-LOCAL.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-05-31 14:58   ` Héctor Lahoz
From: Héctor Lahoz @ 2017-05-31 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Try
>
>     (set-variable 'mpkg-master-file "file.txt" t)
>
> with t as in MAKE-LOCAL.

What I meant is that I used set-variable interactively,
as M-x set-variable. Without LISP code.

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-05-31 15:20     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-31 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Héctor Lahoz <hectorlahoz@gmail.com> writes:

>> Try
>>
>>     (set-variable 'mpkg-master-file "file.txt" t)
>>
>> with t as in MAKE-LOCAL.
>
> What I meant is that I used set-variable
> interactively, as M-x set-variable.
> Without LISP code.

Aha, then do C-u before you do M-x!

From the help

    (set-variable VARIABLE VALUE &optional MAKE-LOCAL)

    [...]

    With a prefix argument, set VARIABLE to VALUE
    buffer-locally.

So

    C-u M-x set-variable RET mpkg-master-file RET file.txt RET

--

@ 2017-05-31 15:21     ` John Ankarström
From: John Ankarström @ 2017-05-31 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Héctor Lahoz <hectorlahoz@gmail.com> writes:

> What I meant is that I used set-variable interactively,
> as M-x set-variable. Without LISP code.

For this, I would use `customize-set-variable' - or,
`customize-variable' if you want the Customize GUI.

- John

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-05-31 15:23       ` John Ankarström
From: John Ankarström @ 2017-05-31 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

john@ankarstrom.se (John Ankarström) writes:

> For this, I would use `customize-set-variable' - or,
> `customize-variable' if you want the Customize GUI.

Oh, sorry, I just reread your message, Héctor, and realized that
you want to set buffer-local variables. Please ignore my reply :-)

- John

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-05-31 15:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-05-31 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Héctor Lahoz" <hectorlahoz@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 16:26:44 +0200
>
> Recently I upgraded my Emacs to version 24 (I don't like to live on
> the edge :-) and noticed that I can't use set-variable to set
> this buffer-local variable anymore. What should I do?
> Why was this changed?
>
> ;; before I did:
> ;; set-variable RET mpkg-master-file RET "file.txt" RET
> (make-variable-buffer-local
>  (defvar mpkg-master-file))

What package defines mpkg-master-file?  I couldn't find it in packages
bundled with Emacs.

Also, what version of Emacs did you have before the upgrade?

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-06-01  9:12       ` Héctor Lahoz
From: Héctor Lahoz @ 2017-06-01  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Héctor Lahoz <hectorlahoz@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Try
> >>
> >>     (set-variable 'mpkg-master-file "file.txt" t)
> >>
> >> with t as in MAKE-LOCAL.
> >
> > What I meant is that I used set-variable
> > interactively, as M-x set-variable.
> > Without LISP code.
>
> Aha, then do C-u before you do M-x!

Thanks, but the key is not "C-u". Either using
"C-u" or not, when I hit TAB it says "no match"
and I can't set the variable.

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-06-01  9:24   ` Héctor Lahoz
From: Héctor Lahoz @ 2017-06-01  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Héctor Lahoz" <hectorlahoz@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 16:26:44 +0200
> >
> > Recently I upgraded my Emacs to version 24 (I don't like to live on
> > the edge :-) and noticed that I can't use set-variable to set
> > this buffer-local variable anymore. What should I do?
> > Why was this changed?
> >
> > ;; before I did:
> > ;; set-variable RET mpkg-master-file RET "file.txt" RET
> > (make-variable-buffer-local
> >  (defvar mpkg-master-file))
>
> What package defines mpkg-master-file?  I couldn't find it in packages
> bundled with Emacs.

It is my own. Not published yet.

> Also, what version of Emacs did you have before the upgrade?

23.4.1

So, to be clear. The variable is defined like this:

(make-variable-buffer-local
 (defvar mpkg-master-file nil
         "The path of the video associated to the current buffer"))

With 23 I could set the variable interactively, with 24 I can't.

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-06-01 10:02     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2017-06-01 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-06-01 13:45         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-06-01 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Héctor Lahoz <hectorlahoz@gmail.com> writes:

>> Aha, then do C-u before you do M-x!
>
> Thanks, but the key is not "C-u". Either using "C-u"
> or not, when I hit TAB it says "no match" and
> I can't set the variable.

C-u is `universal-argument'. You can try this for
example with C-u c

    cccc (4 c's)

or, C-u C-u c

    cccccccccccccccc (4**2 = 16 c's)

or, C-u C-u C-u c

    cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
    (4**3 = 64 c's)

or, C-u 3 c

    ccc (3 c's)

and so on.

What you describe is because there isn't any
"mpkg-master-file" variable. So you either need to
load the mode programmatically with `require' or
`load', or go to a situation (state) in Emacs wich
implies it, "the mode" being whatever
module has the variable defined.

You can look for it with

    C-h v mpkg-master-file RET

is it there?

--

@ 2017-06-01 14:20       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-06-01 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas, help-gnu-emacs

> > (make-variable-buffer-local
> >  (defvar mpkg-master-file nil
> >          "The path of the video associated to the current buffer"))
> >
> > With 23 I could set the variable interactively, with 24 I can't.
>
> I can confirm that (Emacs 26.0.50 here). Variables defined through
> defvar seem not to be indexed, whether buffer local or not. If you
> use `defcustom', though, this will work:
>
>   (defcustom mpkg-master-file nil "...")

Yes, `set-variable' is for "user variables", aka user options,
only, aka symbols that satisfy predicate `user-variable-p'.

Today, that means a variable that is defined using defcustom,
or an alias to such a variable.

It USED to also mean any variable whose doc string begins with `*'.
Alas (IMHO), this feature was removed from Emacs 23 (i.e., long ago).

In Emacs 22 and prior you could do this:

(defvar foo  42 "*This is foo.")
(put 'foo 'variable-interactive "nWidth: ")

M-x set-variable foo RET

 Width: 13 RET

And `foo' was available for completion (e.g. `f TAB') using
`set-variable'.

Giving a variable a `variable-interactive' property tells
`set-variable' how to read a value for it.

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-06-01 15:10         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2017-06-01 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: setting non-user variables
@ 2017-06-01 15:22         ` Héctor Lahoz
From: Héctor Lahoz @ 2017-06-01 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
> > > (make-variable-buffer-local
> > >  (defvar mpkg-master-file nil
> > >          "The path of the video associated to the current buffer"))
> > >
> > > With 23 I could set the variable interactively, with 24 I can't.
> >
> > I can confirm that (Emacs 26.0.50 here). Variables defined through
> > defvar seem not to be indexed, whether buffer local or not. If you
> > use `defcustom', though, this will work:
> >
> >   (defcustom mpkg-master-file nil "...")
>
> Yes, `set-variable' is for "user variables", aka user options,
> only, aka symbols that satisfy predicate `user-variable-p'.
>
> Today, that means a variable that is defined using defcustom,
> or an alias to such a variable.
>
> It USED to also mean any variable whose doc string begins with `*'.
> Alas (IMHO), this feature was removed from Emacs 23 (i.e., long ago).
>
> In Emacs 22 and prior you could do this:
>
> (defvar foo  42 "*This is foo.")
> (put 'foo 'variable-interactive "nWidth: ")
>
> M-x set-variable foo RET
>
>  Width: 13 RET
>
> And `foo' was available for completion (e.g. `f TAB') using
> `set-variable'.
>
> Giving a variable a `variable-interactive' property tells
> `set-variable' how to read a value for it.

You hit the nail on the head. In fact there is a "*" at the
beginning of the docstring and I was wondering why I put it
there some years ago.

Thanks a lot.