all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dubious copyright notices in emacs.tiff, allegro.lua, etc.
@ 2018-01-17 19:36 Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-01-17 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions; +Cc: Adrian Robert

I did a quick pass through the emacs-26 source files and found the
following files with dubious copyright notices. We should fix this one
way or another.

The following image file is used in the GNUstep port:

* nextstep/GNUstep/Emacs.base/Resources/emacs.tiff says 'Copyright (c)
1998 Hewlett-Packard Company' with no permissions notice. Is this
because that TIFF file was created by a tool that inserts that copyright
notice into the image file for some reason? If so, what's the reason?
Can we use a different tool to create a TIFF-format image that doesn't
have this copyright issue? I'll CC: Adrian Robert about this, as he
added that file on 2008-07-15.

The following files were added by Eli on 2015-05-12, as part of a test
suite for etags. As these are just for testing Emacs, presumably it
shouldn't be much trouble to remove them if there are real copyright
issues here:

* test/manual/etags/lua-src/allegro.lua says '-- Copyright (C) 2001-2004
by David A. Capello' and 'Read "LEGAL.txt" for more information.' but
there is no LEGAL.txt.

* test/manual/etags/prol-src/natded.prolog says 'Copyright 1995, Bob
Carpenter' with no permissions notice.

* test/manual/etags/prol-src/ordsets.prolog says 'Copyright(C) 1988,
Swedish Institute of Computer Science' with no permissions otice.

* test/manual/etags/ps-src/rfc1245.ps says 'Copyright (c) 1986,87,89 by
Frame Technology, Inc.  All rights reserved.' with no permissions notice.

* Re: dubious copyright notices in emacs.tiff, allegro.lua, etc.
@ 2018-01-17 20:16 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2018-01-17 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Adrian Robert, Emacs development discussions

Paul Eggert wrote:

> * nextstep/GNUstep/Emacs.base/Resources/emacs.tiff says 'Copyright (c)
> 1998 Hewlett-Packard Company' with no permissions notice. Is this
> because that TIFF file was created by a tool that inserts that
> copyright notice into the image file for some reason? If so, what's
> the reason? Can we use a different tool to create a TIFF-format image
> that doesn't have this copyright issue?

I've updated this file to the Emacs 25 icon, and the above issue no
longer applies.

* Re: dubious copyright notices in emacs.tiff, allegro.lua, etc.
@ 2018-01-19  8:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-01-19  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Adrian.B.Robert, emacs-devel

> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 11:36:43 -0800
> Cc: Adrian Robert <Adrian.B.Robert@gmail.com>
>
> The following files were added by Eli on 2015-05-12, as part of a test
> suite for etags. As these are just for testing Emacs, presumably it
> shouldn't be much trouble to remove them if there are real copyright
> issues here:

It shouldn't be much trouble, provided we can find alternative test
files for the same languages.

FWIW, I don't think there are any real copyright issues here, I looked
at all these files at the time and removed those which had copyright
problems.

* Re: dubious copyright notices in emacs.tiff, allegro.lua, etc.
@ 2018-01-21  3:04   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-01-21  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Adrian.B.Robert, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> The following files were added by Eli on 2015-05-12, as part of a test
>> suite for etags. As these are just for testing Emacs, presumably it
>> shouldn't be much trouble to remove them if there are real copyright
>> issues here: >>
>> * test/manual/etags/lua-src/allegro.lua test/manual/etags/prol-src/natded.prolog test/manual/etags/prol-src/ordsets.prolog  test/manual/etags/ps-src/rfc1245.ps
> It shouldn't be much trouble, provided we can find alternative test
> files for the same languages.

I'm afraid that's too much trouble for me to handle. I don't know what the tests
are for and would rather not get entangled into them if there happen to be real
copyright issues with them.

> I don't think there are any real copyright issues here,

Most likely so. Still, it would be nice if Emacs set a good example with respect
to copyright.