all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bengali Rendering in Emacs 23
@ 2009-08-17 17:32 Abu Zaher
From: Abu Zaher @ 2009-08-17 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, and running emacs-snapshot 20090320. I see that while
it can render Bengali characters, it can't render them in correct order. for
eg কো is being rendered as ক‍ো whereas কী is rendering fine. Am I missing
any configurations? I suppose there are some rendering issues with Bengali
in Emacs, am I right?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards
Abu Zaher Md. Faridee

http://zaher14.blogspot.com/
---
Time heals every wound, but time itself is a wound that never heals.

* Re: Bengali Rendering in Emacs 23
       [not found] <mailman.4827.1250555929.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-18  7:41 ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-08-18  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Abu Zaher <zaher14@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,I&#39;m using Ubuntu 9.04, and running emacs-snapshot 20090320. I see that while it can render Bengali characters, it can&#39;t render them in correct order. for eg কো is being rendered as ক‍ো whereas কী is rendering fine. Am I missing any configurations? I suppose there are some rendering issues with Bengali in Emacs, am I right?
>
> Thanks in advance.-- RegardsAbu Zaher Md. Farideehttp://zaher14.blogspot.com/---Time heals every wound, but time itself is a wound that never heals.

There is very good open source project for your language. Well i
believe those guys deal with GNU Emacs. Get in touch Ankur team:

http://www.bengalinux.org/

Sincerely,

--
"You needn't speak to her about it, she's a proud woman."
		-- Vito Corleone, "Chapter 14", page 208

* Re: Bengali Rendering in Emacs 23
@ 2009-08-18  9:24   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-18  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zaher14; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Abu Zaher <zaher14@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,I&#39;m using Ubuntu 9.04, and running emacs-snapshot 20090320.
>> I see that while it can render Bengali characters, it can&#39;t
>> render them in correct order. for eg কো is being rendered as
>> ক‍ো whereas কী is rendering fine. Am I missing any
>> configurations? I suppose there are some rendering issues with
>> Bengali in Emacs, am I right?

Of course! A few oriental scripts change the shape of glyphs when
they become neighbours of particular characters. An evolved text
processor (for example XeTeX or the Mellel application for Mac OS X,
Yudit for Linux) takes from an OpenType font (OTF) information about
this. GNU Emacs can partially deliver the same performance by using
Pango and lib17n *with* OTF fonts, for which to open GNU Emacs needs
to be configured and built with libotf. So it's up to you to install
useful Bengali OT fonts on your system.

And of course you can check whether other applications on your Ubuntu
system perform the task correctly. When they do and GNU Emacs fails,
then the customisation in your or the system's init files can be the
cause. To prevent their interference you can launch GNU Emacs with
the -Q option.

--
Greetings

   Pete

@ 2009-08-19  4:01 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-08-19  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 18, 1:32 am, Abu Zaher <zahe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> eg কো is being rendered as ক‍ো

Firefox on Windows XP shows both those the same, so I think this must
be a common rendering problem. Emacs on Windows on the other hand
displays them differently (but I can't tell if it is correct ).

I would guess that the problem is with libotf or libm17n, have you
tried looking for updated versions of those libraries? If you are
relying on the version your GNU/Linux distribution provides it may be
too old, you probably need to build those libraries yourself from an
up to date source to get proper support for many Indic scripts.  Also,
your font may be lacking the information required to compose it
correctly, or have the information in a format that libotf cannot
recognize, so try different fonts. On Windows I have the font
"Vrinda", which I think was from a source of Free fonts, but Windows
uses a different OTF engine, so there is no guarantee that will work
with libotf.

* Re: Bengali Rendering in Emacs 23
@ 2009-08-19  6:32   ` Abu Zaher
From: Abu Zaher @ 2009-08-19  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)