all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Debugging .emacs file
@ 2007-02-21 11:28 SteveFKI
From: SteveFKI @ 2007-02-21 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I am new to EMACS, and have created my own .emacs file (because I want to
learn how to do it from scratch). When I open a C file I get the message
"File mode specification error (wrong-type-argument : listp 3).

I would like to be able to debug my .emacs file, and see what is going on,
but if I start EMACS with emacs -debug-init test.c I don't get any debug
info. (This is obviosuly not the right thing to do).

This is my .emacs file

(custom-set-variables
   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
   '(case-fold-search t)
   '(current-language-environment "Latin-9")
   '(default-input-method "latin-9-prefix")
   '(hungry-delete t)
   '(setq delete-key-deletes-forward t)
   '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock)))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 )

;; My modifications

   (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t)

   ;; C-Language customising
   (setq standard-indent 3)

   ;; My C Style
   (defconst myCStyle
     '(
       (c-offsets-alist . ((case-label . 3)
			   (substatement-open . 0)
			   (defun-block-intro . 3)
			   (statement-case-intro . 3)
			   (statement-block-intro . 3)
			   (topmost-intro . -1)
			   ))

     )
   "My C Programming Style")

   (defun myCModeCommonHook ()
      (c-add-style "personal" myCStyle t)
      (setq c-basic-offset . 3)
   )

   ;; Hook my C Style to the standard one
   (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook 'myCModeCommonHook)

  ;; (c-add-style "myCStyle" '("bsd" (c-basic-offset . 3)))
  ;; (add-hook 'c-mode-common-hook '(lambda () (c-set-style "myCStyle")))

   ;; Key bindings
   ;; C-z is Undo
   (define-key global-map "\C-z" 'undo)
   ;; F5 - goto line
   (define-key global-map [f5] 'goto-line)
   ;; F6 - Replace String
   (define-key global-map [f6] 'replace-string)
   ;; F7 - Search forward for ^L (function breaks)
   (define-key global-map [f7] "\C-e\C-s\C-q\C-l")
   ;; C-F7 - Search backward for ^L (function breaks)
   (define-key global-map [C-f7] "\C-a\C-r\C-q\C-l")
   ;; M-Pg Up Go to beginning of buffer
   (define-key global-map [M-prior] 'beginning-of-buffer)
   ;; M-Pg Down Go to beginning of buffer
   (define-key global-map [M-next] 'end-of-buffer)

Can somebody point me in the right direction to fix this please.

Thanks

Steve

* Re: Debugging .emacs file
       [not found] <mailman.4846.1172063621.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-21 14:31 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-02-21 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 21, 11:28 am, SteveFKI <stephen.br...@eu.fkilogistex.com>
wrote:
<snip>
>       (setq c-basic-offset . 3)
The dot above is a typo.

The general way to debug .emacs is to use "progressive halving".
What you do is comment out half of the file, then start emacs.  If it
doesn't work you know the problem is in the enabled half, if it works
you know the problem is in the commented out half, then you reenable
half of that half.  You then continue in that way.

You should use --debug-init too.

* Re: Debugging .emacs file
@ 2007-02-22  4:51 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-02-22  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

SteveFKI wrote:
> I am new to EMACS, and have created my own .emacs file (because I want to
> learn how to do it from scratch). When I open a C file I get the message
> "File mode specification error (wrong-type-argument : listp 3).
>
> I would like to be able to debug my .emacs file, and see what is going on,
> but if I start EMACS with emacs -debug-init test.c I don't get any debug
> info. (This is obviosuly not the right thing to do).

You don't get a *Backtrace* buffer because the error does not occur
while your .emacs file is loaded, it occurs later (due to something in
your .emacs file).

Try starting Emacs like this:

emacs --eval '(setq debug-on-error t)' test.c

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA