yes,it is clearer . thanks In 11.1.2 An Example:`print-elements-of-list', I can not understand why there is a `nil' in the context . thanks If I shoud file a new bug for this question? I still use emacs23.0.95 . 2009/7/5 Glenn Morris > waterloo wrote: > > > --text follows this line-- > > In section 8.5.1 in the manual `Introduction to Emacs Lisp'. I can > > not understant what is `readily settable variable' in second > > paragraph. > > Does the following make it clearer? > > When you specified a variable using the `defvar' special form, you > could distinguish a variable that a user might want to change from > others by typing an asterisk,... > > It should be read in the context of the previous paragraph. >