all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* live search of files by substring
@ 2014-04-24 17:10 Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2014-04-24 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Many of the IDEs have a "live search" feature of files in a project, I was wondering if Emacs had a similar thing?

In many ways, find-name-dired is almost there. Live search basically is the same as find-name-dired except it lists responses as the user types in the query (and does substring matching rather than regex matching).

It would be really ideal if such a tool asked for the directory to use based on first use, and then saved that until the user manually updates it. Even better if it respected .gitignore and other VCS ignore rules.

Is there something similar to "live search" for Emacs?

Best regards,
Sam

* Re: live search of files by substring
@ 2014-04-25  0:01 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-04-25  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Halliday; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Sam,

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there something similar to "live search" for Emacs?

Helm is a good starting point:
https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm

--
 Bastien

* Re: live search of files by substring
@ 2014-04-25  1:21 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-25  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Many of the IDEs have a "live search" feature of files in a project, I was wondering if Emacs had a similar thing?
>
> In many ways, find-name-dired is almost there. Live search basically
> is the same as find-name-dired except it lists responses as the user
> types in the query (and does substring matching rather than regex
> matching).
>
> It would be really ideal if such a tool asked for the directory to use
> based on first use, and then saved that until the user manually
> updates it. Even better if it respected .gitignore and other VCS
> ignore rules.
>
> Is there something similar to "live search" for Emacs?
>
> Best regards,
> Sam

There are several packages that do this sort of thing. For generalized
(ie non-project-specific) stuff there is ido, icicles, anything, helm...
Semantic/CEDET for project-based stuff (I'm sure there's more than just
that). You can check this wiki page for more:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryCompletion

* RE: live search of files by substring
@ 2014-04-25  2:05   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-04-25  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, help-gnu-emacs

> > Many of the IDEs have a "live search" feature of files in a project,
> > I was wondering if Emacs had a similar thing?
> >
> > In many ways, find-name-dired is almost there. Live search basically
> > is the same as find-name-dired except it lists responses as the user
> > types in the query (and does substring matching rather than regex
> > matching).
> >
> > It would be really ideal if such a tool asked for the directory to use
> > based on first use, and then saved that until the user manually
> > updates it. Even better if it respected .gitignore and other VCS
> > ignore rules.
> >
> > Is there something similar to "live search" for Emacs?
>
> There are several packages that do this sort of thing. For generalized
> (ie non-project-specific) stuff there is ido, icicles, anything, helm...
> Semantic/CEDET for project-based stuff (I'm sure there's more than just
> that). You can check this wiki page for more:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryCompletion

I would recommend starting here.  An incremental project-search tool
might use completion, but it need not.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategorySearchAndReplace