all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Issues With Trying To Use Magit Mode For GitHub Repos Via SSH Key
@ 2021-12-29 17:23 Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-12-29 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hey there,

I'm trying to move all my personal Git repos back to GitHub.

I am having a difficult time doing so since I'm getting some weird side effects of either Git or Magit Mode acting weird.

Here's what I did:
- I made a single repo on my GitHub that's blank
- I then cloned the repo locally on my machine
- I then added the contents of the older repo (minus the '.git' directory) to the the cloned directory
- I then added all of the new folders and files to that particular repo via 'Magit' mode in Emacs
- I then attempted to push a commit to that new GitHub repo
- I was then prompted for a 'Username' and 'Password', which kept defaulting to using '@github.com' --> example: I would put 'Tom' --> it would change to 'tom@github.com' for the username. This even occurred even if I used the email I have for my GitHub account, 'tom@mail.com' --> 'tom@mail.com@github.com'
- I did some research and apparently GitHub changed their authentication methods to force either a Personal Access Token or through an SSH key
- So, I simply added my SSH key to my GitHub account, specifically the 'public' key (id_rsa.pub)
- However I'm getting the same weird results as above

I believe I have to modify the .git/config'* *file so that the 'url' is changed accordingly.

However, I'm a bit confused on actually WHAT to put in there.

Here's an example (not the actual line I used):
url = ssh://git@github.com:Tom/example.git

Also, I have this present in my ~/.ssh/config file as well:
Host github.com
  IdentitiesOnly yes
  IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that I made a blank GitHub repo to begin with, so my workflow is probably messed up as a result.

Any reference links would be cool too since I haven't used GitHub in ages in comparison so I have no idea how to approach this.

Just wanted to push my git repos to GitHub quickly.

Thanks,

Sam

* Re: Issues With Trying To Use Magit Mode For GitHub Repos Via SSH Key
@ 2022-01-03  0:25 ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2022-01-03  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>
> Hey there,
>
> I'm trying to move all my personal Git repos back to GitHub.
>
> I am having a difficult time doing so since I'm getting some weird
> side effects of either Git or Magit Mode acting weird.
>
> Here's what I did:
> - I made a single repo on my GitHub that's blank
> - I then cloned the repo locally on my machine
> - I then added the contents of the older repo (minus the '.git' directory) to the the cloned directory
> - I then added all of the new folders and files to that particular repo via 'Magit' mode in Emacs
> - I then attempted to push a commit to that new GitHub repo
> - I was then prompted for a 'Username' and 'Password', which kept
> defaulting to using '@github.com' --> example: I would put 'Tom' -->
> it would change to 'tom@github.com' for the username. This even
> occurred even if I used the email I have for my GitHub account,
> 'tom@mail.com' --> 'tom@mail.com@github.com'
> - I did some research and apparently GitHub changed their
> authentication methods to force either a Personal Access Token or
> through an SSH key
> - So, I simply added my SSH key to my GitHub account, specifically the 'public' key (id_rsa.pub)
> - However I'm getting the same weird results as above
>
> I believe I have to modify the .git/config'* *file so that the 'url' is changed accordingly.
>
> However, I'm a bit confused on actually WHAT to put in there.
>
> Here's an example (not the actual line I used):
> url = ssh://git@github.com:Tom/example.git

I don't think that url is right and that is causing your problem. My
config for a repo has

[remote "github"]
	url = ssh://github.com/leo-butler/with_gensyms.git
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/github/*

> Also, I have this present in my ~/.ssh/config file as well:
> Host github.com
>   IdentitiesOnly yes
>   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
>
> Any ideas on what I did wrong?

I would make a special github key, but that is not causing your problem.

Leo

* Re: Issues With Trying To Use Magit Mode For GitHub Repos Via SSH Key
@ 2022-01-06  0:25   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-01-06  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

I tried this:
[core]
repositoryformatversion = 0
filemode = true
bare = false
logallrefupdates = true
[remote "origin"]
url = https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth ssh://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth.git
fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/github/*
[branch "main"]
remote = origin
merge = refs/heads/main

Yet, when I use 'p' and 'u' in Magit Mode, I get this error:

128 git … push -v origin main\:refs/heads/main
Pushing to https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth ssh://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth.git
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth ssh://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth.git/': URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL

Any ideas on what to do in that case?

Thanks!

Sam

@ 2022-01-06  9:20     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-01-06  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: Emanuel Berg, Leo Butler

    Samuel> I tried this:
    Samuel> [core]
    Samuel> repositoryformatversion = 0
    Samuel> filemode = true
    Samuel> bare = false
    Samuel> logallrefupdates = true
    Samuel> [remote "origin"]
    Samuel> url = https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth ssh://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth.git
    Samuel> fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/github/*
    Samuel> [branch "main"]
    Samuel> remote = origin
    Samuel> merge = refs/heads/main

    Samuel> Yet, when I use 'p' and 'u' in Magit Mode, I get this error:

    Samuel> 128 git … push -v origin main\:refs/heads/main
    Samuel> Pushing to https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth ssh://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth.git
    Samuel> fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth
    Samuel> ssh://github.com/SamuelBanya/SimpleSynth.git/': URL using bad/illegal
    Samuel> format or missing URL

    Samuel> Any ideas on what to do in that case?

You've specified two urls in the 'url' field. I suggest you stick to
just the 'ssh' one.

Robert