all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* search with pasted text and C/C++ mode
@ 2009-05-20 15:13 lehe
From: lehe @ 2009-05-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

My first question is about using Ctrl-s to search text in emacs. Firstly I
copy some string, then Ctrl-s, and now I Ctrl-y and hope to paste the copied
string as the string to search but it didn't happen. Instead some text has
been highlighted all the way till I exit emacs. Can someone please let me
know to do it correctly?

My following questions are about programming C/C++ in emacs:

When I use cscope in emacs to search some symbol, there will be a new window
created with lines showing all the positions where it appears. I try to
click each line in hope to jump to that particular position in some file,
but nothing happens. How could I jump from the search results from cscope?

When I program in C++, I will have a C++ drop-down menu (guess it is perhaps
from GNU indent or the original C++ mode of emacs?) at the toolbar of emacs
for .cc files, but will have C menu instead for .h files. Is it possible to
have C++ menu for both source and header files? Or this does not matter?

Thanks and regards!

* RE: search with pasted text and C/C++ mode
@ 2009-05-20 15:26 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-05-20 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'lehe', Help-gnu-emacs

> I copy some string, then Ctrl-s, and now I Ctrl-y and
> hope to paste the copied string as the string to
> search but it didn't happen.

Use `M-y', not `C-y'.

Also, you can use `M-e' to edit the search string at any time - use RET to stop
editing and continue with normal Isearch.