all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Calling different man
@ 2003-12-11 18:11 Yuri Shtil
From: Yuri Shtil @ 2003-12-11 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

It's been a while since I wrote lisp ...

What I need to do is to use the existing man.el but a different man
program. The situation is complicated since the program I want to use
has a man subcommand:

	acme man ...

What I want to do is to create a variation of the man command that would
    invoke acme with the first argument man and the rest provided by the
user as in the original man command. I want to use all the stuff
provided in the man.el.

I could copy man.el and edit it, but I will wait for a few days hoping
someone will point to a more elegant solution.

Yuri.

* Re: Calling different man
@ 2003-12-11 18:43 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-12-11 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Yuri> Hi

  Yuri> It's been a while since I wrote lisp ...

  Yuri> What I need to do is to use the existing man.el but a
  Yuri> different man program. The situation is complicated since the
  Yuri> program I want to use has a man subcommand:

  Yuri> 	acme man ...

  Yuri> What I want to do is to create a variation of the man command
  Yuri> that would invoke acme with the first argument man and the
  Yuri> rest provided by the user as in the original man command. I
  Yuri> want to use all the stuff provided in the man.el.

  Yuri> I could copy man.el and edit it, but I will wait for a few
  Yuri> days hoping someone will point to a more elegant solution.

Does...

(setq manual-program "acme man")

work?

Phil

* Re: Calling different man
@ 2003-12-11 19:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-11 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Yuri Shtil <yshtil@cisco.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:11:25 -0800
>
> What I need to do is to use the existing man.el but a different man
> program. The situation is complicated since the program I want to use
> has a man subcommand:
>
> 	acme man ...
>
> What I want to do is to create a variation of the man command that would
>     invoke acme with the first argument man and the rest provided by the
> user as in the original man command. I want to use all the stuff
> provided in the man.el.

Why can't you simply frob the variable manual-program?  Its default
value is "man", but I cannot see anything that would prevent you from
changing that to "acme man".

Did I miss something?