all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?
@ 2014-10-24 20:35 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-10-24 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,

I did some web research about how to (still) use Emacs (somehow) when
programming C++ with MS Visual Studio (Express). What I found was more
or less:

 - there are workarounds to activate Emacs Keybindings in VS

 - emacs(client) can be configured as editor in VS (like it can be
    e.g. configured as editor in firefox)

 - emacs can be used (after setting quite a lot of environmental
   variables) to interact with the MSVS C++ compiler via the cmd line

I'm really new to this C++ thing, so I would appreciate some tips about
this topic, what can be done, what not, what is the state-of-the-art
(some prominent links I found are really old, like 10 years or so,
talking about Emacs 19...)?

Are there actually C++ teams with both Emacs and Visual Studio users? I
could imagine that e.g. in a Scala (SBT or Maven) project some
programmers use Eclipse, others Emacs ENSIME, and they can happily
co-exist, but would a similar co-existance be possible in a C++ project
on Windows with Emacs and Visual Studio?

--
cheers,
Thorsten