all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unicode bugs?? -- font or emacs?
@ 2014-03-30  4:26 Rusi
       [not found] ` <mailman.18559.1396191503.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2014-03-30  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[This is more of a meta-question than a question]

If some misbehavior is found (seemingly in emacs) surrounding exotic unicode chars
how does one debug whether its an emacs thing or a font thing?

⟮ ⟯ ⟪ ⟫ 𝗮𝗯𝗰𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗴𝗵𝗶𝗷𝗸𝗹𝗺𝗻𝗼𝗽𝗾𝗿𝘀𝘁𝘂𝘃𝘄𝘅𝘆𝘇
The above chars were being surrounded by many spurious lines

I thought that this was emacs trouble
Changing font seemed to change/reduce trouble -- so font not emacs??

However I also see that some editing actions around these chars makes the problem
disappear (sometimes; not sure when)

So now what?

* Re: Unicode bugs?? -- font or emacs?
@ 2014-03-30 14:56 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.18559.1396191503.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-03-30 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 21:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> If some misbehavior is found (seemingly in emacs) surrounding exotic unicode chars
> how does one debug whether its an emacs thing or a font thing?
>
> ⟮ ⟯ ⟪ ⟫ 𝗮𝗯𝗰𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗴𝗵𝗶𝗷𝗸𝗹𝗺𝗻𝗼𝗽𝗾𝗿𝘀𝘁𝘂𝘃𝘄𝘅𝘆𝘇
> The above chars were being surrounded by many spurious lines
>
> I thought that this was emacs trouble
> Changing font seemed to change/reduce trouble -- so font not emacs??
>
> However I also see that some editing actions around these chars makes the problem
> disappear (sometimes; not sure when)
>
> So now what?

Make a screenshot with the problematic display and report all the
details via "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".

@ 2014-03-30 16:51   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-03-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 8:26:50 PM UTC+5:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 21:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
> > If some misbehavior is found (seemingly in emacs) surrounding exotic unicode chars
> > how does one debug whether its an emacs thing or a font thing?
> > ⟮ ⟯ ⟪ ⟫ 𝗮𝗯𝗰𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗴𝗵𝗶𝗷𝗸𝗹𝗺𝗻𝗼𝗽𝗾𝗿𝘀𝘁𝘂𝘃𝘄𝘅𝘆𝘇
> > The above chars were being surrounded by many spurious lines
> > I thought that this was emacs trouble
> > Changing font seemed to change/reduce trouble -- so font not emacs??
> > However I also see that some editing actions around these chars makes the problem
> > disappear (sometimes; not sure when)
> > So now what?

> Make a screenshot with the problematic display and report all the
> details via "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".

Done