all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell-mode question
@ 2008-10-02  7:31 Stefan Thomas
From: Stefan Thomas @ 2008-10-02  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear emacs-community,
I have a question concerning the shell mode.
When I execute a shell-skript, how can I display the output not in the
shell-buffer but in the buffer im working?
And: is it possible in shell-mode to add text not only at the end of line
but whenever I want to?
Thanks for Your help,

* Re: shell-mode question
@ 2008-10-02 10:16 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-02 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Thomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.10.2008 um 09:31 schrieb Stefan Thomas:

> When I execute a shell-script, how can I display the output not in the
> shell-buffer but in the buffer im working?

Maybe this way:

	<shell interpreter> <path to your shell script> >> <path to your
shell script>

or

	<path to your shell script> >> <path to your shell script>

which will add the script's output to the script's end. You might
think of separating std-out and std-err. Now do M-x revert-buffer,
and voilà: new contents (hopefully).

> And: is it possible in shell-mode to add text not only at the end
> of line
> but whenever I want to?

You can apply a change to the *shell* buffer or some other buffer in
shell-script-mode whenever this buffer is not read-only. Then you can
also apply a change wherever you want ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
direction.

* Re: shell-mode question
@ 2008-10-02 10:45   ` Stefan Thomas
From: Stefan Thomas @ 2008-10-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Peter,
thanks for Your fast reply.
You wrote:
          "You can apply a change to the *shell* buffer or some other buffer
in shell-script-mode whenever this buffer is not read-only."
How con I change the buffer to not read-only"

2008/10/2 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>

> Am 02.10.2008 um 09:31 schrieb Stefan Thomas:
>
>  When I execute a shell-script, how can I display the output not in the
>> shell-buffer but in the buffer im working?
>>

> Maybe this way:
>
>        <shell interpreter> <path to your shell script> >> <path to your
> shell script>
>
> or
>
>        <path to your shell script> >> <path to your shell script>
>
> which will add the script's output to the script's end. You might think of
> separating std-out and std-err. Now do M-x revert-buffer, and voilà: new
> contents (hopefully).
>
>  And: is it possible in shell-mode to add text not only at the end of line
>> but whenever I want to?
>>

> You can apply a change to the *shell* buffer or some other buffer in
> shell-script-mode whenever this buffer is not read-only. Then you can also
> apply a change wherever you want ...
>
> --
> Mit friedvollen Grüßen
>
>  Pete
>
> Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
> direction.

* Re: shell-mode question
       [not found] <mailman.20.1222932685.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-02 21:00 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-10-02 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.20.1222932685.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "Stefan Thomas" <kontrapunktstefan@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Dear emacs-community,
> I have a question concerning the shell mode.
> When I execute a shell-skript, how can I display the output not in the
> shell-buffer but in the buffer im working?

Use C-u M-! to prompt for a shell command, execute it, and insert the
output in the current buffer.

> And: is it possible in shell-mode to add text not only at the end of line
> but whenever I want to?

Yes, you can edit the current input line normally.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA