all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: emacs -nw and accented characters
@ 2004-01-17 20:52 Joel Smith
From: Joel Smith @ 2004-01-17 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > From: Joel Smith <joelvsmith@earthlink.net>
> > Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:17:55 GMT
> >
> > i use emacs 21.3 and i thought i'd try to use
> >
> > aterm -tr -e emacs -nw &
> >
> > to get transparent version of emacs.  the only problem is that
> > accented characters in the emacs show up garbled, but in aterm they
> > appear fine.  in the standard X version accented characters are fine
> > as well.  is there anything i can do to see the accented characters?
>
> Try setting the terminal coding system (C-x RET t) to something
> sensible.

The coding system is iso-latin-1-unix.  the same coding system is used
in the emacs running X.  perhaps it would be better if i included an
accented character...

essayez de voir ceci ça et là...

now try to look at this message running emacs in an X session and with
emacs -nw   if anyone can make the latter work, please let me know how
it's done.

* Re: emacs -nw and accented characters
@ 2004-02-01  0:17 Joel Smith
From: Joel Smith @ 2004-02-01  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm very sorry Eli.  I fixed the problem according to someone's
suggestion to type in

control-x ret t, then use latin-1 before editing or looking at a
file.  it works fine.  sorry.

* emacs -nw and accented characters
@ 2004-01-17 14:17 Joel Smith