all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* scroll-restore-mode breaks comint-mode
@ 2016-05-15 15:10 Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2016-05-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

I encountered a problem that looks like a bug to me: scroll-restore-mode
(from elpa.gnu.org) breaks comint-mode (built-in, GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1).

Steps to reproduce in a clear environment:

$ mkdir /tmp/emacs.d
$ emacs --quick --eval '(setq user-emacs-directory "/tmp/emacs.d")'

(package-initialize)
(package-refresh-contents)
(package-install 'scroll-restore)
(setq scroll-restore-jump-back t)
(scroll-restore-mode 1)

M-x shell

Now I can type the first command (c d RET), start to type the second one
— and the point jumps before shell prompt:

user@local:~$ cd¦
cd¦user@local:~$

(here ‘¦’ denotes cursor position)

I could move point back to the end manually (with M-> for instance), but
that is pretty annoying.

So I have two questions:

1. Where to report the bug — it seems to me that it belongs to
scroll-restore-mode, but its page [0] says nothing about where to mail
issues.  Is it maintained at all?

[0] https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/scroll-restore.html

2. What I can do right now to make it works?

I actually would hardly need scroll-restore-mode in shell, so it would
be enough for me if there were a way disable it on per-major-mode basis.
  However scroll-restore-mode has only global state, no buffer-local, as
far as I can see.