Hi emacs-devel, The article at http://nullprogram.com/blog/2016/12/11/ is an interesting read: > Faster Elfeed Search Through JIT Byte-code Compilation > > Today I pushed an update for Elfeed that doubles the speed of the > search filter in the worse case. […] > > There’s one last thing to watch out for. Everything so far has been > compiled with lexical scope. […] > > Lexical scope has better performance. Here are all the benchmarks > with the default dynamic scope: […] > > It halves the performance […] Under dynamic scope, local variables > use the varref opcode — a global variable lookup — instead of the > stack-ref opcode — a simple array index. (sending this here and not to -discuss because IIRC we have few examples of lexical binding being used for performance — json.el is the only one I remember) Cheers, Clément.