all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Seek dired command related to Copy
@ 2013-11-21 18:17 gentsquash
From: gentsquash @ 2013-11-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In Dired, I'd like a version of `dired-do-copy' (which I'll
call  something else), which, when pointing at a fileline
of a symlink, copies the pointed-to file, rather than the
symlink.  Does someone have such a version, or can show me
how to use "dired-aux.el" routines to write such a cmd?

* RE: Seek dired command related to Copy
@ 2013-11-21 18:39 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-11-21 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gentsquash, help-gnu-emacs

> In Dired, I'd like a version of `dired-do-copy' (which I'll
> call  something else), which, when pointing at a fileline
> of a symlink, copies the pointed-to file, rather than the
> symlink.  Does someone have such a version, or can show me
> how to use "dired-aux.el" routines to write such a cmd?

To write one:

1. Define a function similar to `dired-copy-file-recursive',
but which does not handle a symlink specially.  Let's call
it `dcfr2'.

2. Define a function identical to `dired-copy-file', except
that it calls `dcfr2' instead of `dired-copy-file-recursive'.
Let's call the function `dcf2'.

3. Define a command identical to `dired-do-copy', except that
it calls `dcf2' instead of `dired-copy-file'.

If you think such a command is useful generally, consider
asking Emacs Dev to add it: `M-x report-emacs-bug' is for
enhancement requests too.