all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* backspace/del/C-h confusion between emacs -nw & emacs X11
@ 2003-05-20  1:29 Balaji Venkataraman
From: Balaji Venkataraman @ 2003-05-20  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sure this is an oft repeated question, but I still haven't found a fool
proof solution yet. I'm not a novice user, so I'd appreciate it if you read
the whole mail, before replying.

This is with Emacs (21.1.2) on Solaris.

In short I want the <Backspace> and "C-h" to behave similarly whether I run
"emacs -q" or "emacs -nw -q". I want the <Backspace> key to delete the
previous char and "C-h" to give me the help menu - this is what happens when
you run "emacs -q". But with "-nw", both those keys seem to be tied to the
same thing. Changing one (with keyboard translate) changes the other.

I have read the emacs news (do "C-h C-n" and search for the string
"backspace"). It talks about the difference in behavior, but I want to be
able to avoid it. It's most annoying to bring up emacs with the "-nw" in an
xterm and have the backspace give you "help".

Thanks,
Balaji.
--
Remember 2 + 2 = 5, for large values of 2