all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP
@ 2009-02-24 13:53 kelsogl
From: kelsogl @ 2009-02-24 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am an old emacs (ab)user.  My programming training is limited to a
course in Fortran IV level G back in 1966.  I have downloaded
w3m-0.5.2.tar.gz from  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=39518&package_id=31682&release_id=512477
and ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0/All/emacs-w3m-1.4.4nb1.tgz.
and have managed to extract the tarballs.  I have been using a
precompiled emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of
2003-03-27 on buffy) for years and would like to incorporate w3m but
have no idea where to even start.  I have been running from help page
to help page for days and just am not smart enough to make it through
all the acronyms.  Could someone be kind enough to give me a go-by to
help me get my directory structures put together properly and the
appropriate items added to my .emacs file. I am running XP service
pack 3 on a computer that my daughter built for me.  It has an E6750
dual core processor  Thanks in advance.

* Re: W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP
@ 2009-02-24 19:11 ` Chris McMahan
       [not found] ` <mailman.1801.1235590808.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris McMahan @ 2009-02-24 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kelsogl <kelsogl@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am an old emacs (ab)user.  My programming training is limited to a
> course in Fortran IV level G back in 1966.  I have downloaded
> w3m-0.5.2.tar.gz from  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=39518&package_id=31682&release_id=512477
> and ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0/All/emacs-w3m-1.4.4nb1.tgz.
> and have managed to extract the tarballs.  I have been using a
> precompiled emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of
> 2003-03-27 on buffy) for years and would like to incorporate w3m but
> have no idea where to even start.  I have been running from help page
> to help page for days and just am not smart enough to make it through
> all the acronyms.  Could someone be kind enough to give me a go-by to
> help me get my directory structures put together properly and the
> appropriate items added to my .emacs file. I am running XP service
> pack 3 on a computer that my daughter built for me.  It has an E6750
> dual core processor  Thanks in advance.

Emacs W3M mode is a front end to the w3m html-rendering program. You
must have w3m installed for this to work.

I'm using a version bundled with the cygwin unix emulation
(www.cygwin.com), but that may be a bit heavy.

I found a version compiled for windows platforms on sourceforge.net at
the following URL:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/w3m

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP
@ 2009-02-24 23:28   ` kelsogl
From: kelsogl @ 2009-02-24 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 24, 1:11 pm, Chris McMahan <cmcma...@one.net> wrote:
> kelsogl <kels...@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I am an old emacs (ab)user.  My programming training is limited to a
> > course in Fortran IV level G back in 1966.  I have downloaded
> > w3m-0.5.2.tar.gz from  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=39518&package_i...
> > andftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0/All/emacs-w3....
> > and have managed to extract the tarballs.  I have been using a
> > precompiled emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of
> > 2003-03-27 on buffy) for years and would like to incorporate w3m but
> > have no idea where to even start.  I have been running from help page
> > to help page for days and just am not smart enough to make it through
> > all the acronyms.  Could someone be kind enough to give me a go-by to
> > help me get my directory structures put together properly and the
> > appropriate items added to my .emacs file. I am running XP service
> > pack 3 on a computer that my daughter built for me.  It has an E6750
> > dual core processor  Thanks in advance.
>
> Emacs W3M mode is a front end to the w3m html-rendering program. You
> must have w3m installed for this to work.
>
> I'm using a version bundled with the cygwin unix emulation
> (www.cygwin.com), but that may be a bit heavy.
>
> I found a version compiled for windows platforms on sourceforge.net at
> the following URL:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/w3m
>
> - Chris
>
> --
>      (.   .)
>   =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================
>   Chris McMahan | first_initiallastn...@one.dot.net
>   =================================================
Thanks Chris,
I think I have all the "ingredients"  I am just at a loss as to how to
put them together in a directory structure. So far all I have been
able to get for my M-x w3m is the nasty message "Install w3m command
in `exec-path' or set `w3m-command' variable correctly.  Is an exec
path like a load-path?  I have (setq load-path (cons "c:/Program Files/
Emacs/Emacs-21.3/w3m-0.5.2" load-path)) added to my .emacs file and it
does not seem to help.

* Re: W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP
@ 2009-02-25  7:59     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1742.1235554453.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-02-25  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kelsogl wrote:
> I think I have all the "ingredients"  I am just at a loss as to how to
> put them together in a directory structure. So far all I have been
> able to get for my M-x w3m is the nasty message "Install w3m command
> in `exec-path' or set `w3m-command' variable correctly.  Is an exec
> path like a load-path?  I have (setq load-path (cons "c:/Program Files/
> Emacs/Emacs-21.3/w3m-0.5.2" load-path)) added to my .emacs file and it
> does not seem to help.

exec-path is like load-path, but different:

load-path is a list of directories where Emacs Lisp libraries (.el and
.elc files) are installed.

exec-path is a list of directories where executable programs are
installed.

`C-h v' is your friend.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP
@ 2009-02-25  9:34     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1742.1235554453.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kelsogl; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.02.2009 um 00:28 schrieb kelsogl:

> Is an exec path like a load-path?

Yes. It only tells GNU Emacs where to find executables. It's a
variable which you can examine – and manipulate. Part of the w3m
package is an executable w3m. (And w3mman.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue

@ 2009-02-25 15:15       ` kelsogl
From: kelsogl @ 2009-02-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 25, 3:34 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 25.02.2009 um 00:28 schrieb kelsogl:
>
> > Is an exec path like a load-path?
>
> Yes. It only tells GNU Emacs where to find executables. It's a
> variable which you can examine – and manipulate. Part of the w3m
> package is an executable w3m. (And w3mman.)
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> Never be led astray onto the path of virtue

I guess my main problem with telling GNU Emacs where to find the
executable seems to be that I cannot find the executable myself. The
only way I have ever been able to identify a windows executable is by
the tell-tale .exe and I find none of these.   At the suggestion of
Chris McMahan I went to http://sourceforge.net/projects/w3m and
downloaded w3m-0.5.2.tar.gz .  I then used gunzip and and then tar -x
to decompress the tarball and put it in the directory with my version
21.3 of emacs.   I then attempted to add c:/Program Files/Emacs/
Emacs-21.3/w3m-0.5.2 to my exec path using the `C-h v' and feeding it
exec-path.   When I clicked on the GUI  "Save for Future Sessions"  I
get another nasty message : Scan error: "Unbalanced parentheses",
11342, 81754.  Even though I got no error when using the  "State" GUI
to "save for future sessions".   M-x w3m still results in: Install w3m
command in `exec-path' or set `w3m-command' variable correctly. When I
did the "save for future sessions" I expected some magic to cause a
change to my .emacs file but none occurred.  What am I doing wrong, or
would it just be easier to tell me if I did anything right?

* Re: W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP
@ 2009-02-25 19:30 ` Ivan Kanis
       [not found] ` <mailman.1801.1235590808.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2009-02-25 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kelsogl <kelsogl@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 2003-03-27 on buffy) for years and would like to incorporate w3m but
> have no idea where to even start.  I have been running from help page
> to help page for days and just am not smart enough to make it through

Hi,

I am happily using emacs and w3m on Windows XP, you can get a snapshot
of what I use at http://kanis.fr/winpack.html.

Take care,
--
Ivan
http://kanis.fr

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the
American public.
    -- H L Mencken

* Re: W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP
@ 2009-02-26 10:19         ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2009-02-26 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kelsogl <kelsogl@hotmail.com> writes:

> I guess my main problem with telling GNU Emacs where to find the
> executable seems to be that I cannot find the executable myself. The
> only way I have ever been able to identify a windows executable is by
> the tell-tale .exe and I find none of these.   At the suggestion of
> Chris McMahan I went to http://sourceforge.net/projects/w3m and
> downloaded w3m-0.5.2.tar.gz .  I then used gunzip and and then tar -x
> to decompress the tarball and put it in the directory with my version
> 21.3 of emacs.   I then attempted to add c:/Program Files/Emacs/
> Emacs-21.3/w3m-0.5.2 to my exec path using the `C-h v' and feeding it
> exec-path.   When I clicked on the GUI  "Save for Future Sessions"  I
> get another nasty message : Scan error: "Unbalanced parentheses",
> 11342, 81754.  Even though I got no error when using the  "State" GUI
> to "save for future sessions".   M-x w3m still results in: Install w3m
> command in `exec-path' or set `w3m-command' variable correctly. When I
> did the "save for future sessions" I expected some magic to cause a
> change to my .emacs file but none occurred.  What am I doing wrong, or
> would it just be easier to tell me if I did anything right?

I am afraid this tarrball has to be built. w3m pages say that this appl only
works with cygwin on windows platform.

--
Radek

@ 2009-02-26 21:42   ` kelsogl
From: kelsogl @ 2009-02-26 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 25, 1:30 pm, Ivan Kanis <expire-by-2009-03...@kanis.fr> wrote:
> kelsogl <kels...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > 2003-03-27 on buffy) for years and would like to incorporate w3m but
> > have no idea where to even start.  I have been running from help page
> > to help page for days and just am not smart enough to make it through
>
> Hi,
>
> I am happily using emacs and w3m on Windows XP, you can get a snapshot
> of what I use athttp://kanis.fr/winpack.html.
>
> Take care,
> --
> Ivanhttp://kanis.fr
>
> Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the
> American public.
>     -- H L Mencken

The binary for w3m-0.5.1 did the trick thank you Ivan.  If you should
happen to update your winpack to include the 0.5.2 version of w3m
please be sure to let me know.  Thanks again
Greg