all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Keybindings for navigating completing-read entries
@ 2024-04-11  0:49 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-04-11  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I am trying to find the keybindings for navigating the entries when using
completing-read.  Am finding the search for the respective keybinding difficult
to locate.

* Re: Keybindings for navigating completing-read entries
@ 2024-04-11  1:12 ` Zhengyi Fu
From: Zhengyi Fu @ 2024-04-11  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> 在 2024年4月11日,上午8:50,Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> 写道:
>
> I am trying to find the keybindings for navigating the entries when using
> completing-read.  Am finding the search for the respective keybinding difficult
> to locate.

The keybindings when using completing-read depend on the completion framework you are using.  You should consult the documentation of your completion framework.

If you are not familiar with Emacs keybindings, I recommend using which-key, which can display available keybindings when entering an incomplete command.
-
Zhengyi Fu
富钲壹

* RE: [External] : Keybindings for navigating completing-read entries
@ 2024-04-11  1:52 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2024-04-11  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime, Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> I am trying to find the keybindings for navigating
> the entries when using completing-read.  Am finding
> the search for the respective keybinding difficult to locate.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Minibuffer-Completion.html

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Text-from-Minibuffer.html

See what the manual says about different minibuffer keymaps.

* Re: Keybindings for navigating completing-read entries
@ 2024-04-11  6:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-11  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 00:49:07 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
>
> I am trying to find the keybindings for navigating the entries when using
> completing-read.  Am finding the search for the respective keybinding difficult
> to locate.

If you could describe in enough detail how you tried to search for
those bindings, we could think about improving the documentation
facilities to be more helpful in this matter.

* Re: Keybindings for navigating completing-read entries
@ 2024-04-11 11:32   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-04-11 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, April 11th, 2024 at 6:24 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 00:49:07 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> >
> > I am trying to find the keybindings for navigating the entries when using
> > completing-read. Am finding the search for the respective keybinding difficult
> > to locate.
>

> If you could describe in enough detail how you tried to search for
> those bindings, we could think about improving the documentation
> facilities to be more helpful in this matter.

Started reading from through "21.6 Completion".  It has been said
that the keybindings when using completing-read depend on the
completion framework one is using.  But it is quite tricky for
a user to determine what completion framework one is currently
using and the associated key bindings for navigation.

Perhaps there can be a command that returns the completion
framework and the keybindings associated with using completing-read.
Nevertheless, with completing-read the user simply gets a prompt
without much indication about completion frameworks and about
any keybinding shortcuts to traverse entries.

* Re: Keybindings for navigating completing-read entries
@ 2024-04-11 12:01     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-11 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:32:46 +0000
> From: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > If you could describe in enough detail how you tried to search for
> > those bindings, we could think about improving the documentation
> > facilities to be more helpful in this matter.
>
> Started reading from through "21.6 Completion".

You seem to be reading the wrong manual.  Try reading "9.4 Completion"
in the Emacs user manual instead.  It describes the commands in the
minibuffer when Emacs does completion, which is what you want.

> Nevertheless, with completing-read the user simply gets a prompt
> without much indication about completion frameworks and about
> any keybinding shortcuts to traverse entries.

Actually, if you type ? (question mark) at the prompt, Emacs will pop
up a buffer with some useful commands.

* Re: Keybindings for navigating completing-read entries
@ 2024-04-11 16:23       ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-04-11 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

On Friday, April 12th, 2024 at 12:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:32:46 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > If you could describe in enough detail how you tried to search for
> > > those bindings, we could think about improving the documentation
> > > facilities to be more helpful in this matter.
> >
> > Started reading from through "21.6 Completion".
>

> You seem to be reading the wrong manual. Try reading "9.4 Completion"
> in the Emacs user manual instead. It describes the commands in the
> minibuffer when Emacs does completion, which is what you want.

The html user manual uses bullets.  Could you introduce the section
numbering instead, as it is more useful.

@ 2024-04-11 16:37         ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-04-11 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, April 12th, 2024 at 4:23 AM, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Sent with Proton Mail secure email.
>

> On Friday, April 12th, 2024 at 12:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org wrote:
>
> > > Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:32:46 +0000
> > > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > Started reading from through "21.6 Completion".
> >
> > You seem to be reading the wrong manual. Try reading "9.4 Completion"
> > in the Emacs user manual instead. It describes the commands in the
> > minibuffer when Emacs does completion, which is what you want.
>

> The html user manual uses bullets. Could you introduce the section
> numbering instead, as it is more useful.

I must have encountered another version, rather than the official gnu one.

@ 2024-04-11 17:00       ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-04-11 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, April 12th, 2024 at 12:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:32:46 +0000
> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > If you could describe in enough detail how you tried to search for
> > > those bindings, we could think about improving the documentation
> > > facilities to be more helpful in this matter.
> >
> > Started reading from through "21.6 Completion".
>

> You seem to be reading the wrong manual. Try reading "9.4 Completion"
> in the Emacs user manual instead. It describes the commands in the
> minibuffer when Emacs does completion, which is what you want.
>
> > Nevertheless, with completing-read the user simply gets a prompt
> > without much indication about completion frameworks and about
> > any keybinding shortcuts to traverse entries.
>

> Actually, if you type ? (question mark) at the prompt, Emacs will pop
> up a buffer with some useful commands.

Yes, if I type ? I get some useful commands.  Because I had been using INITIAL
with "completing-read", it was not evident that one has to clear the prompt
to invoke "?".

The manual could state that ? displays some useful completion help in addition
to only "Display a list of completions".  It would help to have a short
"An Introduction to Emacs" like there is "An Introduction to Programming in Emacs
Lisp".  Which would describe completion with examples.

* Re: Keybindings for navigating completing-read entries
@ 2024-04-12  1:55         ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2024-04-12  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, April 12th, 2024 at 12:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> > Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:32:46 +0000
>> > From: Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com
>> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>> > Started reading from through "21.6 Completion".
>>

>> You seem to be reading the wrong manual. Try reading "9.4 Completion"
>> in the Emacs user manual instead. It describes the commands in the
>> minibuffer when Emacs does completion, which is what you want.
>
> The html user manual uses bullets.  Could you introduce the section
> numbering instead, as it is more useful.

If you evaluate (by typing C-x C-e) the following Lisp expression from
within Emacs, then the built-in Info reader should be displayed at the
"Completion" section of the "Minibuffer" chapter in the Emacs user
manual:

   (info "(emacs) Completion")

You could also copy that expression and paste it after the "Eval: "
prompt following the key sequence M-:

- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliament of Birds.