all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unable to list or access remote files via ftp
@ 2011-02-24 19:05 guivho
From: guivho @ 2011-02-24 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using GNU Emacs 23.2.92.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS
apple-appkit-1038.35) of 2011-01-15 on black.porkrind.org on an iMac
running OSX 10.6.6.

When I try to list the home directory on my website with C-x C-d
/ftp.vanhoecke.org:vanhoecke/www.vanhoecke.org/web/content ange-ftp
immediately starts to access the remote ftp server as soon as I type
the ':', but it fails. Here's the transcript of the internal ange-ftp
buffer:

ftp> open ftp.vanhoecke.org
Connected to ftp.vanhoecke.org.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
ftp> user "guido.vanhoecke@vanhoecke.org" Turtle Power!
331 Password required for guido.vanhoecke@vanhoecke.org.
230 User logged in.
Remote system type is Windows_NT.
ftp> hash
Hash mark printing on (1024 bytes/hash mark).
ftp> pwd
Remote directory: /
ftp> pwd
Remote directory: /
ftp> passive on
Passive mode: on; fallback to active mode: off.
ftp> get ~ /dev/null
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||5504|)
550 The system cannot find the file specified.
ftp> get ~ /dev/null
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||5505|)
550 The system cannot find the file specified.
ftp> pwd
Remote directory: /
ftp> pwd
Remote directory: /
ftp>

The corresponding section of the *Messages* buffer reads:

Opening FTP connection to ftp.vanhoecke.org...done
Logging in as user guido.vanhoecke@vanhoecke.org@ftp.vanhoecke.org...done
Getting PWD... [2 times]
Warning! Unable to get home directory
Trying passive mode......
expanding ~... [2 times]
Getting PWD... [2 times]
expanding ~... [2 times]
Getting PWD... [2 times]
byte-code: Unable to obtain CWD
Mark set

The remote ftp server uses the unix directory listing format, and the
password is provided through my ~/.netrc. The userid provided to me by
my ISP is an email address: guido.vanhoecke@vanhoecke.org. This is an
unusual userid, but I have no problem addressing this server from
within Midnight Commander (using
/#ftp:ftp.vanhoecke.org/vanhoecke/www.vanhoecke.org/web/content as
address) nor from within Vim (using
ftp://ftp.vanhoecke.org/vanhoecke/www.vanhoecke.org/web/content/). I
am pretty sure that I managed to edit these remote files from within
Emacs before, from Ubuntu as well as from Microsoft XP.

In order to test this without interference from my ~/.emacs and
customizations, I launched 'emacs -nw -q' in a terminal and tried to
list the remote directory. Same result: it tries to get the ~
directory and fails.

Funny thing is that it works on 'GNU Emacs 23.2.1
(i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1' running in a VMWare
Windows7 client on this same iMac:

open ftp.vanhoecke.org
Connected to ftp.vanhoecke.org.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
user "guido.vanhoecke@vanhoecke.org" Turtle Power!
331 Password required for guido.vanhoecke@vanhoecke.org.
230 User logged in.
hash
Hash mark printing On  ftp: (2048 bytes/hash mark) .
pwd
257 "/" is current directory.
cd "/"
250 CWD command successful.
ls -al c:/Users/guivho/AppData/Local/Temp/ange-ftp2324Fbq
200 PORT command successful.
125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 1194 bytes received in Seconds Kbytes/sec.

Any suggestions about how I could tackle this problem? I may be a
viper user, but it still is kind of embarassing that I have to launch
Gvim to edit my remote files...

TIA for any advice and/or help,

guivho.

* Re: Unable to list or access remote files via ftp
@ 2011-02-24 23:40 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-02-24 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guivho; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.02.2011 um 20:05 schrieb guivho:

> When I try to list the home directory on my website with C-x C-d
> /ftp.vanhoecke.org:vanhoecke/www.vanhoecke.org/web/content ange-ftp
> immediately starts to access the remote ftp server as soon as I type
> the ':', but it fails

I think you think that you are using ange-ftp – but it's actually
TRAMP. TRAMP has a different syntax:

	C-x d /METHOD:USER@HOST/path/to/whatever RET

The @ as part of your user name confuses TRAMP. Maybe it helps to
enter guido.vanhoecke\@vanhoecke.org...

	C-h i m tramp s filename RET

--
Greetings

   Pete

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
		– Bill Watterson, in his comic strip Calvin and Hobbes

* Re: Unable to list or access remote files via ftp
@ 2011-02-25 13:27   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-02-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 24.02.2011 um 20:05 schrieb guivho:
>
>> When I try to list the home directory on my website with C-x C-d
>> /ftp.vanhoecke.org:vanhoecke/www.vanhoecke.org/web/content ange-ftp
>> immediately starts to access the remote ftp server as soon as I type
>> the ':', but it fails
>
> I think you think that you are using ange-ftp – but it's actually
> TRAMP. TRAMP has a different syntax:
>
> 	C-x d /METHOD:USER@HOST/path/to/whatever RET
>
> The @ as part of your user name confuses TRAMP.

I don't believe so. According to the traces, Tramp has delegated the
work to ange-ftp.

I cannot reproduce it here. Maybe it is due to the nature of the remote
FTP server ("220 Microsoft FTP Service"); I have no access to this kind
of server for testing.

Guido, if possible you could use another method to access, like "smb".

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Unable to list or access remote files via ftp
@ 2011-02-25 16:00 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2011-02-25 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: guivho; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 01:05, guivho <news@vanhoecke.org> wrote:

> ftp> get ~ /dev/null
> 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||5504|)
> 550 The system cannot find the file specified.

I believe the client is trying to get at the server's notion for the
user's home directory by requesting a file named ~. However, in
Windowsland the idea of a user's home is a little different, and the ~
is not treated specially -- it is just a filename. So Windows says
there's no such file.

Intuitively, I would try putting a / immediately after the :, so that
the whole URL is unambiguously relative to the server root, not to the
user's home directory on the server. I might be wrong, having never
used ange-ftp.