all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
To: B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Dvorak layout except when modifier key is pressed
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:27:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 27.12.2007 um 18:45 schrieb B. T. Raven:

> Does any of you know what xmodmap expressions I can put in some
> file so that my two users (ec and su or sudo) can have the same
> keyboard with bottom row super, alt, ctl, space, ctl, alt, super,
> hyper?

In shell you can 'man xmodmap', in GNU Emacs you have two more
choices: manual-entry and woman.

> Are Mod1 thru Mod5 synonyms for these modifiers keys? More
> importantly, is this system level stuff off topic here?

These are the generic symbols. You can make them being this or that
or something else. To change a previous setting (xmodmap -pm), you
first need to "reset" it:

	clear Shift
	clear Lock
	clear Control
	clear Mod1
	clear Mod2
	clear Mod3
	clear Mod4
	clear Mod5

then ad(d)just:

	add    Shift   = Shift_L	Shift_R
	add    Lock    = Caps_Lock
	add    Control = Control_L	Control_R
	add    Mod1    = Mode_switch	Mode_switch
	add    Mod2    = Meta_L		Meta_R
	add    Mod3    = Alt_L		Alt_R
	add    Mod4    = Hyper_L	Hyper_R
	add    Mod5    = Super_L	Super_R

Generally you can set the "key bindings" like:

	keycode 0x35 =  n               N               dead_tilde      U203A
	keycode 66 = Meta_L

(first line hex value for key code, second example with decimal value)

First column: no modifier
Second column: with Shift modifier
Third column: with Alt modifier
Fourth column: with Shift and Alt modifiers

The names are defined in /usr/X11/include/X11/keysymdef.h.

Multi_key is a nice thing: pressing Multi_key o / could produce ø.
Not sure whether it's still supported ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Eat the rich – the poor are tough and stringy.