all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23.0.60
@ 2009-01-25 22:16 ramestica
From: ramestica @ 2009-01-25 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I cannot find a way for downloading emacs's source code for the
snapshot that was called 23.0.60. I thought that '23.0.60' would be
cvs tag but it did not work. I'm not sure that 'snapshot' is even the
correct word in this context.

I do not want to try the very head of cvs; after googling for a while
I decided that 23.0.60 should be good enough for me at this moment.

thanks,
 Rodrigo

* Re: emacs 23.0.60
@ 2009-01-25 23:41 ` Michael Ekstrand
       [not found]   ` <utz7mv1yu.fsf@myhost.sbcglobal.net>
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2009-01-25 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ramestica@gmail.com writes:
> I cannot find a way for downloading emacs's source code for the
> snapshot that was called 23.0.60. I thought that '23.0.60' would be
> cvs tag but it did not work. I'm not sure that 'snapshot' is even the
> correct word in this context.
>
> I do not want to try the very head of cvs; after googling for a while
> I decided that 23.0.60 should be good enough for me at this moment.

23.0.60 is the CVS head.

And, in general, if you want to run CVS, I'd recommend running HEAD or a
regularly-updated snapshot (I use the emacs-snapshot packages for
Debian; they're usually updated weekly, and I have found that they work
pretty well).  Any given snapshot is liable to have bugs which are fixed
later.  If HEAD is broken badly, it's usually fixed quickly (in my
experience, within the day); if you have a snapshot from a bad time,
then it won't be fixed until the next snapshot.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.

* Re: emacs 23.0.60
@ 2009-01-26  0:20   ` ramestica
       [not found]   ` <utz7mv1yu.fsf@myhost.sbcglobal.net>
From: ramestica @ 2009-01-26  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 25, 6:41 pm, Michael Ekstrand <mich...@elehack.net> wrote:
> ramest...@gmail.com writes:
> > I cannot find a way for downloading emacs's source code for the
> > snapshot that was called 23.0.60. I thought that '23.0.60' would be
> > cvs tag but it did not work. I'm not sure that 'snapshot' is even the
> > correct word in this context.
>
> > I do not want to try the very head of cvs; after googling for a while
> > I decided that 23.0.60 should be good enough for me at this moment.
>
> 23.0.60 is the CVS head.
>
> And, in general, if you want to run CVS, I'd recommend running HEAD or a
> regularly-updated snapshot (I use the emacs-snapshot packages for
> Debian; they're usually updated weekly, and I have found that they work
> pretty well).  Any given snapshot is liable to have bugs which are fixed
> later.  If HEAD is broken badly, it's usually fixed quickly (in my
> experience, within the day); if you have a snapshot from a bad time,
> then it won't be fixed until the next snapshot.
>
> - Michael
>
> --
> mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.

I see. I try the head then. It is strange not to be able to refer to a
certain and consistent status (as far as it was known to be consistent
at that moment) sof the cvs tree.

many thanks,
 Rodrigo

* Re: emacs 23.0.60
@ 2009-01-26  3:18     ` Michael Ekstrand
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2009-01-26  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ramestica@gmail.com writes:
> On Jan 25, 6:41 pm, Michael Ekstrand <mich...@elehack.net> wrote:
>> ramest...@gmail.com writes:
>> > I cannot find a way for downloading emacs's source code for the
>> > snapshot that was called 23.0.60. I thought that '23.0.60' would be
>> > cvs tag but it did not work. I'm not sure that 'snapshot' is even the
>> > correct word in this context.
>>
>> > I do not want to try the very head of cvs; after googling for a while
>> > I decided that 23.0.60 should be good enough for me at this moment.
>>
>> 23.0.60 is the CVS head.
>>
>> And, in general, if you want to run CVS, I'd recommend running HEAD or a
>> regularly-updated snapshot (I use the emacs-snapshot packages for
>> Debian; they're usually updated weekly, and I have found that they work
>> pretty well).  Any given snapshot is liable to have bugs which are fixed
>> later.  If HEAD is broken badly, it's usually fixed quickly (in my
>> experience, within the day); if you have a snapshot from a bad time,
>> then it won't be fixed until the next snapshot.
>>
>> - Michael
>>
>> --
>> mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
>
> I see. I try the head then. It is strange not to be able to refer to a
> certain and consistent status (as far as it was known to be consistent
> at that moment) sof the cvs tree.

When the move from CVS to bzr is complete, then it will be possible to
refer to a single Emacs state by bzr commit ID.  But yes, in CVS there
is, apart from tags, no concept of a single state of the source tree.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.

* Re: emacs 23.0.60
@ 2009-01-26  9:41 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-26  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ramestica; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.01.2009 um 23:16 schrieb ramestica:

> I do not want to try the very head of cvs; after googling for a while
> I decided that 23.0.60 should be good enough for me at this moment.

Head and 23.0.60 are synonymous. To download do approximately this
(http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs):

setenv CVS_RSH	ssh
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co
<modulename>

The <modulename> is probably emacs. Cvs will produces a tree of files
and directories named emacs. A 'cvs update' in this emacs directory
will update, the same will be achieved by M-x cvs-up RET RET from
inside GNU Emacs.

Read also the just downloaded INSTALL.CVS file.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
			– origin unknown

* Re: emacs 23.0.60
       [not found]   ` <utz7mv1yu.fsf@myhost.sbcglobal.net>
@ 2009-01-26 19:09     ` Michael Ekstrand
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2009-01-26 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chetan <Chetan.xspam@xspam.sbcglobal.net> writes:
> Have you been building from CVS?  It seems to be broken for some
> time.  I am building on W32.  Can anyone confirm it builds and works
> reasonably?   I seem some things that are clearly broken in code, but
> don't see any changes in log.

I have been building directly from CVS and also using the emacs-snapshot
Debian packages from http://emacs.orebokech.com/, and usually dont' have
problems.  I have never built on Windows, however.

If you are having build problems, I suggest bringing them up on the
emacs-devel list (gmane.emacs.devel on Gmane).  Trying with a fresh
checkout and possibly `make boostrap' could be useful in finding the
problem.  There were some changes to the build process some time ago
which are supposed to reduce the need for `make bootstrap'; check the
INSTALL.CVS file for some info.

- Michael