all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
@ 2012-09-27 14:17 Rainer M Krug
       [not found] ` <mailman.9877.1348786974.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-09-27 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
@ 2012-09-27 23:02 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.9877.1348786974.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-27 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug <R.M.Krug@gmail.com> writes:

>   (eval-after-load "tabbar"
>       '(tabbar-mode)
>     )

I think it should be

  (eval-after-load "tabbar"
      (tabbar-mode))

(no quote)

Btw, ELPA packages are initialized *after* Emacs loads your init file.
So it may often be a good idea to add (package-initialize) very early
in your init file, after you set the package-* options correctly.

--
 Bastien

@ 2012-09-28  0:02   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2012-09-28  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <R.M.Krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>   (eval-after-load "tabbar"
>>       '(tabbar-mode)
>>     )
>
> I think it should be
>
>   (eval-after-load "tabbar"
>       (tabbar-mode))
>
> (no quote)

eval-after-load is a funtion, so the form to be executed *should* be quoted.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
       [not found] <mailman.9853.1348755472.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-09-28  0:14 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2012-09-28  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> I just decided to install some standard packages via elpa, and I am running into problems with two
> packages: tabbar and color-theme
>
> I would like to acivate them in .emacs.d/emacs.el and start the tabbar-mode and set color-theme-hober
>
> I tried
>   (eval-after-load "tabbar"
>       '(tabbar-mode)
>     )
>
> but this activates the tabbar mode, but does not show them. I have to disable it and enable it
> again and then can I see the tabbar.

see what happens when you ditch the eval-after-load completely. i
suspect that installing tabbar-mode through elpa already activates it,
so what you're doing with the eval-after-load call is deactivating it
again...

> I get a similar error for
>
> (eval-after-load "color-theme"
>   'progn(

this is wrong. it should be:

    '(progn

>          (color-theme-initialize)
>          (color-theme-hober)
>          )
>   )

note: the common way to write lisp is to not put the closing parens on a
separate line. just write:

(eval-after-load "color-theme"
  '(progn
     (color-theme-initialize)
     (color-theme-hober)))

looks much cleaner. (the parens are just there for the computer. as a
human, you should ignore them and look at the indentation.)

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function (color-theme-initialize))
>   ((color-theme-initialize) (color-theme-hober))

this is telling you that (color-theme-initialize) cannot be a function
(nor name one). which is correct, because it's a list. a list can only
be a function if its first element is the symbol `lambda'.

the reason why emacs thinks (color-theme-initialize) is a function is
because you've misplaced the paren with progn.

use the code snippet i gave above, it should (hopefully ;-) work.

HTH

--

@ 2012-09-28  7:35   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-09-28  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
@ 2012-09-28  7:38     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-09-28  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
@ 2012-09-28  7:40     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-28  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug <R.M.Krug@gmail.com> writes:

> But what do you mean with package-* options?

I mean `package-load-list' in particular.

This defaults to '(all), which loads all packages that you downloaded
through M-x list-packages RET but you may want to load only some.

> I only set
>
> (setq package-archives '(
>                            ("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
>                            ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>                            ("suco" . "http://joseito.republika.pl/sunrise-commander/")
>                            ("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/"))
>
> and that in my emacs.org (el) file - should I move this into the init.el, or call
> (package-initialize) in my emacs.org (el) file after I set the parameter?

You should move this before (package-initialize), otherwise Package will
not be aware of these ELPA repos.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
@ 2012-09-28  8:03   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-09-28  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 28/09/12 02:14, Joost Kremers wrote:
> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> I just decided to install some standard packages via elpa, and I am running into problems
>> with two packages: tabbar and color-theme
>>
>> I would like to acivate them in .emacs.d/emacs.el and start the tabbar-mode and set
>> color-theme-hober
>>
>> I tried (eval-after-load "tabbar" '(tabbar-mode) )
>>
>> but this activates the tabbar mode, but does not show them. I have to disable it and enable
>> it again and then can I see the tabbar.
>
> see what happens when you ditch the eval-after-load completely. i suspect that installing
> tabbar-mode through elpa already activates it, so what you're doing with the eval-after-load
> call is deactivating it again...

Still the problems, but I saw that emacs 24 has it's own way of handling color themes, and that is
what I am using:

(load-theme 'wheatgrass t)

>> I get a similar error for
>>
>> (eval-after-load "color-theme" 'progn(
>
> this is wrong. it should be:
>
> '(progn
>
>> (color-theme-initialize) (color-theme-hober) ) )
>
> note: the common way to write lisp is to not put the closing parens on a separate line. just
> write:
>
> (eval-after-load "color-theme" '(progn (color-theme-initialize) (color-theme-hober)))
>
> looks much cleaner. (the parens are just there for the computer. as a human, you should ignore
> them and look at the indentation.)

Good point - I am used to pascal, R and a bit of C, where the brackets are closing on the new
lines, but I agree - if one looks at the indentation, it is quite easy to understand.

>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function (color-theme-initialize))
>> ((color-theme-initialize) (color-theme-hober))
>
> this is telling you that (color-theme-initialize) cannot be a function (nor name one). which
> is correct, because it's a list. a list can only be a function if its first element is the
> symbol `lambda'.
>
> the reason why emacs thinks (color-theme-initialize) is a function is because you've misplaced
> the paren with progn.
>
> use the code snippet i gave above, it should (hopefully ;-) work.

Hm - i would say many things still to learn.

Thanks a lot for your explanations,

Rainer

@ 2012-09-28  8:11       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-09-28  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
@ 2012-09-28  8:25         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-28  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rainer M Krug <R.M.Krug@gmail.com> writes:

> OK - but could I should be able to put these statements as first
> commands into my emacs.org - correct?

AFAIU yes.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
@ 2012-09-28  8:29           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-09-28  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* RE: Activating tabbar after installation via elpa on emacs 24.2.1
@ 2012-09-28 15:09     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-09-28 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Rainer M Krug', help-gnu-emacs

> Still the problems, but I saw that emacs 24 has it's own way
> of handling color themes, and that is what I am using:
> (load-theme 'wheatgrass t)

Not quite.  Emacs 24 has its own way of handling color schemes, in the general
sense of the word.

Emacs 24 has nothing to do with color themes.  It has a similar but separate
feature, called "custom" themes.  This is different from color themes, which are
what library `color-theme.el' is about.