all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Searching for the same text, in the same sessions but in a different window
@ 2010-02-26 17:44 jrocha
From: jrocha @ 2010-02-26 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello All,

I have recently started using emacs in the Linux environment. I am using
emacs version 21.3.1 on a SUSE SP1 install of Linux. This is the version
used by our company, and I don't get to control the Linux version.

Anyway, I use emacs quite a bit on Solaris platforms and the functionality I
was use to was as follows:

1. Use emacs to view a text file.

2. Move the cursor to the beginning of a word I want to search for, hit
CTRL-S to start the search and then CTRL-W to expand the search for the
whole word.

3. At this point I can CTRL-S through the file in this window and search for
this selected word.

4. Next I use CTRL-X 5 2 to open a new window, and in that window I open a
different text file.

5. At this point I can do CTRL-S to search for the string I was looking for
back in step 3,in the first file.

6. I start a NEW search in this second window for some other string. Using
the same method. CTRL-S to start the search, CTRL-W to search for the word,
etc. This is done in window #2.

7. Now, if I go back to window #1 and invoke CTRL-S in the old window, I
want to search for the new string in the old (#1) window too.

This works fine in my Solaris emacs, but this is not the behavior in Linux
emacs. In Linux emacs, it remembers my OLD search string and searches for
that instead. Its like the search string is relevant to the window. I don't
want the Linux behavior.

I've tried looking through options, but I haven't stumbled across any
settings to adjust this behavior.

Does anyone know if this is a limation of Emacs on Linux, or is it
controllable by customization?

Thanks in advance,

-=John

* Re: Searching for the same text, in the same sessions but in a different window
@ 2010-02-27 15:52 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-02-27 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jrocha wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have recently started using emacs in the Linux environment. I am using
> emacs version 21.3.1 on a SUSE SP1 install of Linux. This is the version
> used by our company, and I don't get to control the Linux version.
>
> Anyway, I use emacs quite a bit on Solaris platforms and the functionality I
> was use to was as follows:
>
> 1. Use emacs to view a text file.
>
> 2. Move the cursor to the beginning of a word I want to search for, hit
> CTRL-S to start the search and then CTRL-W to expand the search for the
> whole word.
>
> 3. At this point I can CTRL-S through the file in this window and search for
> this selected word.
>
> 4. Next I use CTRL-X 5 2 to open a new window, and in that window I open a
> different text file.
>
> 5. At this point I can do CTRL-S to search for the string I was looking for
> back in step 3,in the first file.
>
> 6. I start a NEW search in this second window for some other string. Using
> the same method. CTRL-S to start the search, CTRL-W to search for the word,
> etc. This is done in window #2.
>
> 7. Now, if I go back to window #1 and invoke CTRL-S in the old window, I
> want to search for the new string in the old (#1) window too.
>
> This works fine in my Solaris emacs, but this is not the behavior in Linux
> emacs. In Linux emacs, it remembers my OLD search string and searches for
> that instead. Its like the search string is relevant to the window. I don't
> want the Linux behavior.
>
> I've tried looking through options, but I haven't stumbled across any
> settings to adjust this behavior.
>
> Does anyone know if this is a limation of Emacs on Linux, or is it
> controllable by customization?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -=John

Hi,

with GNU Emacs 23.1.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of 2010-02-19  on Suse10.3
behaviour is as you described at Solaris.

Have a look if/how  isearch related variables are customized or set local.

Andreas

* RE: Searching for the same text, in the same sessions but in a different window
@ 2010-02-27 16:06 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-02-27 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'jrocha', Help-gnu-emacs

> 4. Next I use CTRL-X 5 2 to open a new window, and in that
> window I open a different text file.

FYI -

You can use `C-x 5 f' to directly open the second file in a separate frame.

And if you want to use a separate frame by default each time you visit a buffer
(including a file) in another window, then you can customize option
`pop-up-frames' to t.

> 7. Now, if I go back to window #1 and invoke CTRL-S in the
> old window, I want to search for the new string in the old
> (#1) window too.
>
> This works fine in my Solaris emacs, but this is not the
> behavior in Linux emacs. In Linux emacs, it remembers my OLD
> search string and searches for that instead.

Sounds like a bug to me. I see nothing in NEWS about it. Please use `M-x
report-emacs-bug' to report it.

* Re: Searching for the same text, in the same sessions but in a different window
@ 2010-02-28  6:38 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2010-02-28  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: jrocha; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Searching for the same text, in the same sessions but in a different window
@ 2010-03-01 16:56   ` jrocha
From: jrocha @ 2010-03-01 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello Tomas,

I only start emacs once. I am creating a new "emacs window" by invoking C-x
5 2.

I don't think it starts another process, as a [ps] only shows the one emacs
process. Actually, I question if it even starts another thread as [ps -C
emacs -T] is only showing the one entry.

@ 2010-03-01 17:01   ` jrocha
From: jrocha @ 2010-03-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello Drew,

Thanks ofr the tip on [C-x 5 f]

I tried the pop-up-frames setting but that command does not seem to exist
for Gnue Emacs 21.3.1 (i586-suse-linux) of 2006-06-16

Nor does the pop-up-windows. But I do see these in my older Solaris version.
I'll have to see if I can get a newer version of Emacs installed. Another
poster indicated they are seeing appropriate behavior, but with a later
version of Emacs (and latter OS too -- but I don't get much input on THAT
topic.)

Thanks,

-=John

@ 2010-03-01 17:31     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-01 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'jrocha', Help-gnu-emacs

> I tried the pop-up-frames setting but that command does not
> seem to exist for Gnue Emacs 21.3.1 (i586-suse-linux) of 2006-06-16

It's a variable (a user option). It does exist for GNU Emacs 21.3.1.

(I'm using Windows, but I'm sure it's the same for GNU/Linux. This is what I'm
using to test this: GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2004-03-10 on
NYAUMO.)

> Nor does the pop-up-windows.

That too exists for Emacs 21.3.1. And for older versions also.

> But I do see these in my older Solaris version.
> I'll have to see if I can get a newer version of Emacs
> installed. Another poster indicated they are seeing
> appropriate behavior, but with a later version of Emacs
> (and latter OS too -- but I don't get much input on THAT
> topic.)

Maybe you have found a bug, in which case please report it using `M-x
report-emacs-bug'. Emacs 21 is no longer being developed, but report it anyway,
in case it is still pertinent in some way for the latest release. Also, by
reporting it you might get some advice or helpful info from the developers.

However, I suspect that maybe you did not start with `emacs -q --no-site-file',
and that something in your site file or your init file (.emacs) is causing the
problem.

If you also see the problem when starting with `emacs -q --no-site-file', then
report a bug, providing a step-by-step recipe, with `emacs -q --no-site-file' as
the first step.

If you don't see the problem with a virgin Emacs that way, then try just `emacs
-q', to see if the problem is in your init file (not the site file).

If so, then comment out sections of your init file until you discover the part
that causes the problem. Use a binary search: uncomment half of the file, then
half of the problematic half, then half of the problematic quarter, etc.

* RE: Searching for the same text, in the same sessions but in a different window
@ 2010-03-01 17:34     ` jrocha
From: jrocha @ 2010-03-01 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi Drew,

I wanted to follow up. pop-up-frames does exist in 21.3.1. It just doesn't
appear under the appropos or describe searches. I found it under the
variables. [ESC-X describe-variable pop-up-frames].

I used [set-variable] to set the value, and [customize-save-variable] to
save it to my .emacs file.

Now I get the new windows as desired. Thank you.

Next I need to figure out the search issue. Someone suggested it might be a
customization setting somewhere. So I'm still digging through all of that.

Thanks again.

-=John