all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to find current font-lock settings of a buffer?
@ 2009-02-07 14:49 Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2009-02-07 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

how can I see the current font-lock settings of a buffer? I'm asking
because the default theme does a very good job at highlighting in
C++-mode but my custom-theme does not (yet).

Geralt.

* Re: How to find current font-lock settings of a buffer?
@ 2009-02-07 15:01 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <fbdd0e50902070720u31e5f09dpe4ee46c7d107821e@mail.gmail.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-07 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Geralt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.02.2009 um 15:49 schrieb Geralt:

> how can I see the current font-lock settings of a buffer?

M-x describe-face RET on character of that face. In GNU Emacs 23 C-u
C-x = works similarly.

--
Greetings

   Pete

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
None.
They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.

@ 2009-02-07 15:20     ` Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2009-02-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 07.02.2009 um 15:49 schrieb Geralt:
>
>> how can I see the current font-lock settings of a buffer?
>

> M-x describe-face RET on character of that face. In GNU Emacs 23 C-u C-x =
> works similarly.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
> None.
> They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.

Thanks, that helps :-)
Only one problem remains: is there a way to find out if it is using a
certain font (default font for example), because another, more
specialized, font is unset?

@ 2009-02-07 15:31       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-07 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Geralt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.02.2009 um 16:20 schrieb Geralt:

> is there a way to find out if it is using a certain font

describe-font?

--
Greetings

   Pete

				– Mark Twain

* Re: How to find current font-lock settings of a buffer?
@ 2009-02-07 15:35         ` Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2009-02-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 07.02.2009 um 16:20 schrieb Geralt:
>
>> is there a way to find out if it is using a certain font
>

> describe-font?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> Be careful of reading health books, you might die of a misprint.
>                                – Mark Twain

Sorry, I've used the wrong word, what I wanted to ask was: if a
certain word ist displayed with the default face is there a way to
find out if the mode really wanted to display it with the default face
or is it just using the default face, because I didn't customize a
more specialized face?

@ 2009-02-07 18:04           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-07 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Geralt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.02.2009 um 16:35 schrieb Geralt:

> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> Am 07.02.2009 um 16:20 schrieb Geralt:
>>
>>> is there a way to find out if it is using a certain font
>>

>> describe-font?
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>  Pete
>>
>> Be careful of reading health books, you might die of a misprint.
>>                                – Mark Twain
>>

> Sorry, I've used the wrong word, what I wanted to ask was: if a
> certain word ist displayed with the default face is there a way to
> find out if the mode really wanted to display it with the default face
> or is it just using the default face, because I didn't customize a
> more specialized face?

Launch another GNU Emacs with -Q or -q and compare their results!

--
Greetings

   Pete

One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone.
				– Amiri Baraka, 1999

@ 2009-02-08 10:16   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-02-08 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

>> how can I see the current font-lock settings of a buffer?
>
> M-x describe-face RET on character of that face. In GNU Emacs 23 C-u
> C-x = works similarly.

That displays only the face used for that character.  The real font-lock
settings are in the variable font-lock-keywords (which you normally
don't set explicitly).

See (info "(elisp)Font Lock Mode") for details.

Bye,
Tassilo

* RE: How to find current font-lock settings of a buffer?
@ 2009-02-08 18:34     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-08 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Tassilo Horn', help-gnu-emacs

> >> how can I see the current font-lock settings of a buffer?
> >
> > M-x describe-face RET on character of that face. In GNU Emacs 23 C-u
> > C-x = works similarly.
>
> That displays only the face used for that character.  The real
> font-lock settings are in the variable font-lock-keywords (which
> you normally don't set explicitly).
> See (info "(elisp)Font Lock Mode") for details.

Yes, but looking at the value of `font-lock-keywords' is likely to puzzle more
than clarify ... unless you marry that with the face appearances using
`list-faces-display'.

IOW, `C-h v font-lock-keywords' will show you which faces are used by Font Lock
mode in the current buffer. Then `M-x list-faces-display' will show you what
they (and other faces actually look like).

* Re: How to find current font-lock settings of a buffer?
@ 2009-02-08 19:38       ` Geralt
From: Geralt @ 2009-02-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> > M-x describe-face RET on character of that face. In GNU Emacs 23 C-u
>> > C-x = works similarly.
>>
>> That displays only the face used for that character.  The real
>> font-lock settings are in the variable font-lock-keywords (which
>> you normally don't set explicitly).
>> See (info "(elisp)Font Lock Mode") for details.
>
> Yes, but looking at the value of `font-lock-keywords' is likely to puzzle more
> than clarify ... unless you marry that with the face appearances using
> `list-faces-display'.
>
> IOW, `C-h v font-lock-keywords' will show you which faces are used by Font Lock
> mode in the current buffer. Then `M-x list-faces-display' will show you what
> they (and other faces actually look like).

Thanks, I'll try that.