all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell doesn't appear to execute $HOME/.emacs_bash
@ 2009-06-01 23:33 David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2009-06-01 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm running GNU Emacs in Cygwin, both of which I just installed on
this
box.

In shell-mode in Emacs, I want the same aliases that are defined in
my $HOME/.bashrc file.  As far as I can tell, the way to do this is to
create a file $HOME/.emacs_bash with the following contents:

  . $HOME/.bashrc

Unfortunately, this seems to have no effect.  Once the shell mode
finishes initializing, the aliases I needed are not set.  I also tried
adding an "echo" to the top of that file, to see if I could when it is
executed, but I never saw that output anywhere.

I've also tested this with XEmacs on Cygwin, and it behaves exactly
the same way.

* Re: shell doesn't appear to execute $HOME/.emacs_bash
@ 2009-06-30 22:42 ` David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2009-06-30 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 1, 4:33 pm, David Karr <davidmichaelk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running GNU Emacs in Cygwin, both of which I just installed on
> this
> box.
>
> In shell-mode in Emacs, I want the same aliases that are defined in
> my $HOME/.bashrc file.  As far as I can tell, the way to do this is to
> create a file $HOME/.emacs_bashwith the following contents:
>
>   . $HOME/.bashrc
>
> Unfortunately, this seems to have no effect.  Once the shell mode
> finishes initializing, the aliases I needed are not set.  I also tried
> adding an "echo" to the top of that file, to see if I could when it is
> executed, but I never saw that output anywhere.
>
> I've also tested this with XEmacs on Cygwin, and it behaves exactly
> the same way.

I'm getting back to this, because I'm setting up my environment on a
new box.

I discovered one more interesting fact, but I don't know what to do
with it yet.

When I start up Emacs and execute "shell", it apparently just executes
"bash" without running "$HOME/.bashrc" or "$HOME/.emacs_bash".  I can
tell because I have print statements in both of those.

If I then kill the "*shell*" buffer and then execute "shell" again,
the shell buffer shows the print statement from "$HOME/.bashrc" (I
really only need to execute $HOME/.bashrc, not $HOME/.emacs_bash, for
what I need).

I don't understand what the difference might be between the first
invocation of "shell", with the second one, after killing the *shell*
buffer.

* Re: shell doesn't appear to execute $HOME/.emacs_bash
@ 2010-01-06 19:20 ` antoine
From: antoine @ 2010-01-06 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello David,

I have just identified the same problem. I am running Xemacs 21.4 and cygwin 1.7.1

Regards,

Antoine

--
This message was sent on behalf of antoine@gmx.de at openSubscriber.com