all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Basile Starynkevitch <basile@starynkevitch.net>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Cc: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
Subject: Re: Make GUI for application
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 19:12:47 +0200	[thread overview]

On 9/12/23 18:56, uzibalqa wrote:
> I want to make a GUI for an application I am writing.  What would people recommend I use that
> is Free Software as defined by the FSF ?  What does Emacs use for its GUIs ?

Maybe you want to use some open source graphical user interface
toolkits. On Linux systems there are many of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_platform-independent_GUI_libraries

On my Linux system (on which I download then recompile GNU emacs from
its source code every day) GNU emacs is using GTK.

https://gtk.org/

But you could consider using other open source toolkits like
https://www.qt.io/ or https://www.fltk.org/ or http://fox-toolkit.org/
and many others.

% /usr/local/bin/emacs-trunk --version

GNU Emacs 30.0.50
Development version 2b6928edb978 on master branch; build date 2023-09-12.

If I run /usr/bin/ldd /usr/local/bin/emacs-trunk the output has more
than a hundred lines (libaries used directly or indirectly by GNU emacs)

If I run /usr/local/bin/emacs-trunk /proc/self/maps 149 lines are shown.

By the way, my pet open source project is the RefPerSys open source
inference engine, see https://github.com/RefPerSys/RefPerSys/ and
amateurish website http://refpersys.org/

(contributors to RefPerSys are welcome)

Regards from near Paris in France.

--
Basile Starynkevitch                  <basile@starynkevitch.net>
(only mine opinions / les opinions sont miennes uniquement)