all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question Regarding Config For Gnus With Fastmail
@ 2022-02-08 17:11 Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-02-08 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hey there,

I wanted to do the deep dive to try out GNUS, but am encountering three weird things:
1. It prompts me for the 'IMAP' user, which I then put in as 'sbanya' since my email is 'sbanya@fastmail.com'.

Its weird since its defaulting to 'sam'.

2. When it prompts for the 'IMAP password', it shows me 'sbanya@fastmail' before prompting for the password, even though it probably should be 'sbanya@fastmail.com'.

3. Also, after I enter in the correct password and hit enter, I get the following message:
nnimap (fastmail) open error: 'NO Incorrect username or password.'. Continue? (y or n)

Here's my config for GNUS within my Emacs config:
** Add Gnus for personal email
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (when (member (system-name) '("notestation" "fossastation"))
    (setq
     user-full-name "Samuel Banya"
     user-mail-address "sbanya@fastmail.com"
     send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
     smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.fastmail.com"
     smtpmail-stream-type 'starttls
     smtpmail-smtp-service 587
     gnus-select-method
     '(nnimap "fastmail"
      (nnimap-address "imap.fastmail.com")
      (nnimap-server-port 993)
      (nnimap-stream ssl)
      (nnmail-expiry-wait immediate))))
#+end_src

Thanks,

Sam

* Re: Question Regarding Config For Gnus With Fastmail
@ 2022-02-08 17:44 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-02-08 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> I wanted to do the deep dive to try out GNUS, but am encountering three weird things:
> 1. It prompts me for the 'IMAP' user, which I then put in as 'sbanya' since my email is 'sbanya@fastmail.com'.
>
> Its weird since its defaulting to 'sam'.
>
> 2. When it prompts for the 'IMAP password', it shows me
> 'sbanya@fastmail' before prompting for the password, even though it
> probably should be 'sbanya@fastmail.com'.
>
> 3. Also, after I enter in the correct password and hit enter, I get the following message:
> nnimap (fastmail) open error: 'NO Incorrect username or password.'. Continue? (y or n)
>
> Here's my config for GNUS within my Emacs config:
> ** Add Gnus for personal email
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (when (member (system-name) '("notestation" "fossastation"))
>     (setq
>      user-full-name "Samuel Banya"
>      user-mail-address "sbanya@fastmail.com"
>      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.fastmail.com"
>      smtpmail-stream-type 'starttls
>      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
>      gnus-select-method
>      '(nnimap "fastmail"
>       (nnimap-address "imap.fastmail.com")
>       (nnimap-server-port 993)

I would definitely add a (nnimap-user "sbanya@fastmail.com") in here. I
don't know if it's supposed to draw the correct address from
`user-mail-address' or not, but obviously something's going wrong there,
and it's safer to specify it explicitly.

@ 2022-02-09 10:41 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2022-02-09 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> I wanted to do the deep dive to try out GNUS, but am encountering three weird things:
> 1. It prompts me for the 'IMAP' user, which I then put in as 'sbanya' since my email is 'sbanya@fastmail.com'.
>
> Its weird since its defaulting to 'sam'.
>
> 2. When it prompts for the 'IMAP password', it shows me 'sbanya@fastmail' before prompting for the password, even though it probably should be 'sbanya@fastmail.com'.
>
> 3. Also, after I enter in the correct password and hit enter, I get the following message:
> nnimap (fastmail) open error: 'NO Incorrect username or password.'. Continue? (y or n)
>
> Here's my config for GNUS within my Emacs config:
> ** Add Gnus for personal email
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (when (member (system-name) '("notestation" "fossastation"))
>     (setq
>      user-full-name "Samuel Banya"
>      user-mail-address "sbanya@fastmail.com"
>      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.fastmail.com"
>      smtpmail-stream-type 'starttls
>      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
>      gnus-select-method
>      '(nnimap "fastmail"
>       (nnimap-address "imap.fastmail.com")
>       (nnimap-server-port 993)
>       (nnimap-stream ssl)
>       (nnmail-expiry-wait immediate))))
> #+end_src

To be honest,
i don't know emacs lisp, however i like very so much Gnus,only Gnus!

There are many case:

1. gnus-select-method vs gnus-secondary-select-methods
2. using ~/.gnus instead of ~/.emacs
3. check ~/.authinfo in very detail...

Also i attach real running Gnus file in South Korea.

https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/test/-/commit/c77c6af67d07f93b9cafc405accc34d4914a9645

May the Gnus be with you!

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee