all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* buffer gap
@ 2008-12-09 15:54 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2008-12-09 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs]

Can somebody explain me what the buffer gap is useful for ?

I see in elisp manual:

<< Insertion works by filling in part of
the gap, and deletion adds to the gap.  Of course, this means that the
gap must first be moved to the locus of the insertion or deletion.
Emacs moves the gap only when you try to insert or delete. >>

However, I cannot understand too much. Can somebody explain me the idea , please?

____________________________________________________Ecoutez « Circus » le nouveau single de Britney Spears sur Musiline ! http://musiline.voila.fr/player/generate/4/15/31829/?intitule=Circus

* Re: buffer gap
@ 2008-12-09 16:26 ` B Smith-Mannschott
From: B Smith-Mannschott @ 2008-12-09 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Help [help-gnu-emacs]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_buffer

Come back, if that's not enough.

// ben

--
// Ben Smith-Mannschott

* Re: buffer gap
       [not found] <mailman.2326.1228838084.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-12-10  5:01 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-12-10  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.2326.1228838084.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 "A. Soare" <alinsoar@voila.fr> wrote:

> Can somebody explain me what the buffer gap is useful for ?
>
> I see in elisp manual:
>
> << Insertion works by filling in part of
> the gap, and deletion adds to the gap.  Of course, this means that the
> gap must first be moved to the locus of the insertion or deletion.
> Emacs moves the gap only when you try to insert or delete. >>
>
> However, I cannot understand too much. Can somebody explain me the idea ,
> please?

Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_buffer

--