all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* *shell*: messed with PS1 and echo rm became rm
@ 2002-07-09  1:05 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-07-09  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since you are interested in wasting your energies in debugging obscure
corners of emacs, here in *shell* i did:
07:06 ~# cd /etc/init.d/
07:09 init.d# ./fetchmail
Usage: /etc/init.d/fetchmail {start|stop|restart|force-reload|awaken|debug-run}
07:09 1 init.d# ./fetchmail debug-run
bash: debug-run: command not found  *******
07:10 127 init.d# $PWD/fetchmail debug-run
/etc/init.d/fetchmail: Initiating debug run of system-wide fetchmail service...

the only problem occurred where I put the ******* and might have been
caused by the $?=1 popping up in my prompt.

Because my
PROMPT_COMMAND='
        z=" $?"
        z=${z# 0}
	case $PWD in
	$HOME) pwd=\~;;
        *) pwd=${PWD##*/};;
	esac'
PS1="$my_color_on\A\$z \$pwd\\$""$my_color_off "

Anyway, you've got more important things to fix, but i suppose i
better watch out now as "echo rm importaint_file" will become "rm
importaint_file".
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: *shell*: messed with PS1 and echo rm became rm
@ 2002-07-09  7:45 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-07-09  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 07:09 1 init.d# ./fetchmail debug-run
> bash: debug-run: command not found  *******
>
> the only problem occurred where I put the ******* and might have been
> caused by the $?=1 popping up in my prompt.

Why do you think this has anything to do with emacs?

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
  			-- Walter Hines Page

* Re: *shell*: messed with PS1 and echo rm became rm
@ 2002-07-10  5:57 ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-07-10  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan> Since you are interested in wasting your energies in debugging obscure
Dan> corners of emacs, here in *shell* i did:
Dan> 07:06 ~# cd /etc/init.d/
Dan> 07:09 init.d# ./fetchmail
Dan> Usage: /etc/init.d/fetchmail {start|stop|restart|force-reload|awaken|debug-run}
Dan> 07:09 1 init.d# ./fetchmail debug-run
Dan> bash: debug-run: command not found  *******
Dan> 07:10 127 init.d# $PWD/fetchmail debug-run
Dan> /etc/init.d/fetchmail: Initiating debug run of system-wide fetchmail service...

Miles> Why do you think this has anything to do with emacs?

well, what else could have eaten the word "./fetchmail" from my
command line.  I did this again today and the problem didn't occur.
The culprit must be an intermittent problem in *shell* buffers as to
how much is prompt and how much the user typed.

I can't reproduce it, but user beware: use fancier prompts and
sometimes less [or more] of what you typed might get sent to the
shell.

Miles> Why do you think this has anything to do with emacs?

Got any better ideas?  No better ideas then Miles becomes Feet in my
mind :-)
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780