all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shading after column x
@ 2003-11-25 15:59 Arthur Davis
From: Arthur Davis @ 2003-11-25 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking to be able to draw a shaded region that covered
everything after a certain column (given as an argument) for a whole
buffer.  Everything before that column would remain unshaded and the
shading would have only visual effects.  Also, it would be ideal if
this could be turned on and off at will for individual buffers.

Does something like this exist?  If not, is it a difficult task to do?
I would appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks,
Arthur

* Re: shading after column x
       [not found] <mailman.567.1069779698.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-25 16:46 ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-25 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Davis <adavis@torrentnet.com> writes:

> I am looking to be able to draw a shaded region that covered
> everything after a certain column (given as an argument) for a whole
> buffer.  Everything before that column would remain unshaded and the
> shading would have only visual effects.  Also, it would be ideal if
> this could be turned on and off at will for individual buffers.

What do you mean by "shaded"?

-Dan

* Re: shading after column x
@ 2003-11-25 17:48   ` Arthur Davis
       [not found]     ` <mailman.855.1070331266.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Arthur Davis @ 2003-11-25 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Just a visual indication of what text is beyond the specified column.
I had in mind possibly a different background color or something along
the lines of how a region of text is shaded when you click and drag to
select it with the mouse.

Arthur

Dan Anderson writes:
 > Arthur Davis <adavis@torrentnet.com> writes:
 >
 > > I am looking to be able to draw a shaded region that covered
 > > everything after a certain column (given as an argument) for a whole
 > > buffer.  Everything before that column would remain unshaded and the
 > > shading would have only visual effects.  Also, it would be ideal if
 > > this could be turned on and off at will for individual buffers.
 >
 > What do you mean by "shaded"?
 >
 > -Dan

* Re: shading after column x
@ 2003-12-01 21:31     ` Arthur Davis
       [not found]     ` <mailman.855.1070331266.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Arthur Davis @ 2003-12-01 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone have any ideas of how this could be done?  I'm not looking for
someone to reply with lisp code (although that would be ok), but I
don't know where to start.  I've got the emacs manual just like
everyone else, but I've never done any lisp programming.  However, I
am a programmer, so I didn't think this should be an impossible task.
Plus, I think it's time to take my relationship with emacs to the next
level.

Just a reference to a keyword or two to look at in the manual or a
pointer to something similar on emacswiki would be great.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Arthur

Arthur Davis writes:
 > Just a visual indication of what text is beyond the specified column.
 > I had in mind possibly a different background color or something along
 > the lines of how a region of text is shaded when you click and drag to
 > select it with the mouse.
 >
 > Arthur
 >
 > Dan Anderson writes:
 >  > Arthur Davis <adavis@torrentnet.com> writes:
 >  >
 >  > > I am looking to be able to draw a shaded region that covered
 >  > > everything after a certain column (given as an argument) for a whole
 >  > > buffer.  Everything before that column would remain unshaded and the
 >  > > shading would have only visual effects.  Also, it would be ideal if
 >  > > this could be turned on and off at will for individual buffers.
 >  >
 >  > What do you mean by "shaded"?
 >  >
 >  > -Dan
 >  > Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
 >  > Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Re: shading after column x
       [not found]     ` <mailman.855.1070331266.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-02  2:23       ` don provan
From: don provan @ 2003-12-02  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

It just so happens that I wrote a little minor mode a few years ago
that sounds like it does exactly what you want: it makes all
characters past a given column red. I got bored with it after a couple
of months, so I'd almost forgotten about it. You can pick up a copy at
   http://dprovan.home.comcast.net/collimit.el
and see if it still works. As I recall, the one thing that might not
be quite right for you is that it assumes the major mode is using
font locking: i don't think it knows how to enable font locking for
itself. I always used it for C code, so that wasn't an issue.
-don provan dprovan@comcast.net

* Re: shading after column x
       [not found]     ` <mailman.855.1070331266.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-02  2:24       ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-12-02  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=yoijllriqmw5.fsf%40minastir.dd.chalmers.se

--
Johan Bockgård

@ 2003-12-17 20:26 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-17 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Davis <adavis@torrentnet.com> writes:

> I am looking to be able to draw a shaded region that covered
> everything after a certain column (given as an argument) for a whole
> buffer.

I vaguely remember vvb.el or vvb-mode.el.  It draws a line instead of
a box, but that could be better than nothing.

Kai

@ 2003-12-19  4:56 ` Alan Wehmann
From: Alan Wehmann @ 2003-12-19  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following is from Toby Speight, posted 26 Jan 1999 in comp.emacs.
It may be of interest.

Kai has already mentioned vvb.el.  There was also a post that
mentioned wide-column.el.

David> Is there a package available in either GNU or Xemacs which will
David> help me know when I've "crossed the line".  I do display the
David> column number in my mode bar, but dont' always watch it.  I
David> need something like a vertical bar drawn at col 80 or other
David> visual notification when I've entered text beyond col 80.  I
David> don't want to _not_ be able to type past 80 cols, just to know
David> when I've done it.

When I wanted to do this in Message mode, I used font-lock to help
me.  I added this match to the end of font-lock-keywords for the mode:

(list (concat "^" (make-string 76 ?.) "\\(.+$\\)") '(1 warning-face
t))

You'll want to change the 76 to 80, of course.  And you might perhaps
need to define/change the face, too.

--
Alan Wehmann
wehmann@fnal.gov