all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with "undo"
@ 2004-12-24 11:13 Joakim Verona
From: Joakim Verona @ 2004-12-24 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a problem with the current CVS emacs.

When I work with tramp, for instance /su:root@localhost:/etc/hosts
tramp asks me about "undo" information on each save, for the buffer
*tram su root localhost* buffer.

emacs asks me if I want to discard a number of bytes of undo
information. This is very inconvenient.

Regards,

--
Joakim Verona

www.verona.se
joakim@verona.se

* Re: problem with "undo"
@ 2004-12-24 17:08 ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-12-24 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

JV> Hello,
JV> I have a problem with the current CVS emacs.

JV> When I work with tramp, for instance /su:root@localhost:/etc/hosts
JV> tramp asks me about "undo" information on each save, for the buffer
JV> *tram su root localhost* buffer.

JV> emacs asks me if I want to discard a number of bytes of undo
JV> information. This is very inconvenient.

It is not normal, as for me it works without problems. With this weeks CVS
version.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: problem with "undo"
@ 2004-12-25 15:13 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-12-25 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    When I work with tramp, for instance /su:root@localhost:/etc/hosts
    tramp asks me about "undo" information on each save, for the buffer
    *tram su root localhost* buffer.

Please send a precise self-contained test case so we can figure
out the cause of the problem.

* Re: problem with "undo"
@ 2004-12-25 20:44 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2004-12-25 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Joakim Verona <joakim@verona.se> writes:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I have a problem with the current CVS emacs.
>
> When I work with tramp, for instance /su:root@localhost:/etc/hosts
> tramp asks me about "undo" information on each save, for the buffer
> *tram su root localhost* buffer.
>
> emacs asks me if I want to discard a number of bytes of undo
> information. This is very inconvenient.

This can happen if you edit *large* files, and the contents of these
files appears temporarily in that internal buffer. Mostly, people
don't see it because the files are not so huge. Your "/etc/hosts"
shouldn't be so large either; I don't know why it happens to *you*.

Very inconvenient, indeed. I've added a patch to Tramp that the buffer
local variable `buffer-undo-list' of that buffer is set to t, which is
sufficient because there's nothing to be inspected later on.

Will be available in Emacs CVS with next Tramp sync.

> Regards,

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: problem with "undo"
@ 2004-12-26 22:33   ` Joakim Verona
From: Joakim Verona @ 2004-12-26 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     When I work with tramp, for instance /su:root@localhost:/etc/hosts
> tramp asks me about "undo" information on each save, for the buffer
> *tram su root localhost* buffer.
>
> Please send a precise self-contained test case so we can figure out
> the cause of the problem.

Below I've tried to provide a more precise testcase.

with cvs emacs of 20041226 do:

 emacs --no-init -nw /su:root@localhost:/tmp/tsta

type your root pwd

type 1234567890 and save the buffer

jump to a new buffer tstb type 1234567890 and save it

repeat this process about 4 times

you will get this question:

Buffer *tramp/su root@localhost* undo info is 417914 bytes long; discard it? (yes or no)

its not entirely consistent, but I tried several times and was able to
repeatedly evoke the problem. The size of the testbuffers doesnt seem
to matter much, I tried much larger buffers, and what matters is the
number of times you switch buffers and save them.

You probably dont need to be root of course either.

--
Joakim Verona

www.verona.se
joakim@verona.se