all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* vim mode for emacs?
@ 2005-02-27  3:49 Paul Tremblay
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-02-27  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hope this question doesn't sound too funny, but is there a vim mode
for emacs? I remember reading on an email list that one could set up
emacs so it would operate like vim--that is, you could hit the j key and
move up one line, hit the k key and move on one line, and so on.

I am coming from the vim world, but I really want to take advantage of
emacs XML modes. But I am so used to the vim key bindings, that I was
hoping I could adapt them to emacs.

Thanks

Paul

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* Re: vim mode for emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.1860.1109478189.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-27  4:41 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-02-27  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> writes:

> I hope this question doesn't sound too funny, but is there a vim
> mode for emacs? I remember reading on an email list that one could
> set up emacs so it would operate like vim--that is, you could hit
> the j key and move up one line, hit the k key and move on one line,
> and so on.
>
> I am coming from the vim world, but I really want to take advantage
> of emacs XML modes. But I am so used to the vim key bindings, that I
> was hoping I could adapt them to emacs.

M-x viper-mode RET

* Re: vim mode for emacs?
@ 2005-02-27  7:41   ` roodwriter
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1872.1109496193.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: roodwriter @ 2005-02-27  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:

> Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> writes:
>
>> I hope this question doesn't sound too funny, but is there a vim
>> mode for emacs? I remember reading on an email list that one could
>> set up emacs so it would operate like vim--that is, you could hit
>> the j key and move up one line, hit the k key and move on one line,
>> and so on.
>>
>> I am coming from the vim world, but I really want to take advantage
>> of emacs XML modes. But I am so used to the vim key bindings, that I
>> was hoping I could adapt them to emacs.
>
> M-x viper-mode RET

My understanding is that viper-mode emulates vi, not vim.

I thought I should add on to David's reply just in case that that
makes a difference.

I've never personally tried viper-mode, so I don't know how close it
comes.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html.

To reply take the extra "o" out of the name.

@ 2005-02-27  8:32 ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2005-02-27  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Tremblay wrote:

| I am coming from the vim world, but I really want to take advantage of
| emacs XML modes. But I am so used to the vim key bindings, that I was
| hoping I could adapt them to emacs.

In addition to the earlier replies, see:

--
SB

* Re: vim mode for emacs?
@ 2005-02-27  8:48     ` Paul Tremblay
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1872.1109496193.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-02-27  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:41:54AM -0500, roodwriter@core.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: vim mode for emacs?
>
> David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> writes:
> >
> >> I hope this question doesn't sound too funny, but is there a vim
> >> mode for emacs? I remember reading on an email list that one could
> >> set up emacs so it would operate like vim--that is, you could hit
> >> the j key and move up one line, hit the k key and move on one line,
> >> and so on.
> >>
> >> I am coming from the vim world, but I really want to take advantage
> >> of emacs XML modes. But I am so used to the vim key bindings, that I
> >> was hoping I could adapt them to emacs.
> >
> > M-x viper-mode RET
> >

> My understanding is that viper-mode emulates vi, not vim.
>
> I thought I should add on to David's reply just in case that that
> makes a difference.
>
> I've never personally tried viper-mode, so I don't know how close it
> comes.

I've just tried it for a few minutes, and it seems pretty darn close to
vim. I think I can live with some discrepencies; what I would need is
just the basics. For years I have been moving my cursor with certain key
bindings.

I wonder if the viper mode will also work when I have to load in the
special XML mode.

Thanks

Paul

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* Re: vim mode for emacs?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1872.1109496193.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-28 19:47       ` J. David Boyd
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2099.1109633012.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2005-02-28 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> wrote in

> I wonder if the viper mode will also work when I have to load in the
> special XML mode.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

There are some config variables that set which mode is active for which
file type.

Dave

* Re: vim mode for emacs?
@ 2005-02-28 23:00         ` Paul Tremblay
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2099.1109633012.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Tremblay @ 2005-02-28 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:47:09PM +0000, J. David Boyd wrote:

> There are some config variables that set which mode is active for which
> file type.

Sorry if this sounds dumb (I am new to emacs), but I will need both
modes--if that is at all possible. In other words, I will want to use
the powerful XML mode--only available on emacs and recomended by the TEI
group--but I would like to be able to move the cursor by means of
vim-like key bindings.

Paul

--

************************
*Paul Tremblay         *

* Re: vim mode for emacs?
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2099.1109633012.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-28 23:30           ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2005-02-28 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Tremblay <phthenry@iglou.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:47:09PM +0000, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>

>> There are some config variables that set which mode is active for
>> which file type.
>>

> Sorry if this sounds dumb (I am new to emacs), but I will need both
> modes--if that is at all possible. In other words, I will want to
> use the powerful XML mode--only available on emacs and recomended by
> the TEI group--but I would like to be able to move the cursor by
> means of vim-like key bindings.
>
> Paul

That's not a dumb question at all.  Clearly the whole point of using
Emacs in some sort of vi-emulation mode is that you want to be able to
use the Emacs' cool text editing modes while still retaining vi
emulation.

You can definitely run viper and nxml modes at the same time (just
tried it).  In fact, viper appears to effectively hijack your emacs
session.  Once I run viper-mode I get viper mode pretty much
everywhere.

So just open up an xml file (emacs myfile.xml) and then type in M-x
viper-mode, it will probably do what you want.  You might need to type
in M-x nxml-mode to make sure you get the nxml-mode instead of the
older xml-mode, but there are quite a few ways to control what mode
gets used (which is probably what the original author was talking
about).  Spend a little time in "info viper" for more information.

Jason

* Re: vim mode for emacs?
@ 2005-02-28 23:40           ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2005-02-28 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sorry if this sounds dumb (I am new to emacs), but I will need both
> modes--if that is at all possible. In other words, I will want to use
> the powerful XML mode--only available on emacs and recomended by the TEI
> group--but I would like to be able to move the cursor by means of
> vim-like key bindings.

Viper works with almost all Emacs major modes. Don't worry about it.

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.