all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Modeline position
@ 2005-06-13 17:54 Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2005-06-13 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to change the mode-line position so that it is, say,
at the top of a buffer rather then at the bottom?

I can't find any info about it so I assume the answer is no.

Thanks,
Patrick

* Re: Modeline position
       [not found] <mailman.1.1118687185.2837.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-14  0:10 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-06-14  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Patrick <bigredindian@gmail.com> writes:
> Is there any way to change the mode-line position so that it is, say,
> at the top of a buffer rather then at the bottom?
>
> I can't find any info about it so I assume the answer is no.

It may be possible to do something that halfway works in recent versions
of GNU Emacs (21 and later; I tried with a CVS version), by using the
header-line instead of the mode-line.

E.g., in your scratch buffer, try something like:

   ;; copy mode-line contents to header-line
   (setq header-line-format mode-line-format)

   ;; get rid of mode-line (nil format)
   (setq mode-line-format nil)

[You can also edit the `header-line' face to make the appearance be more
to your liking.]

Of course some modes (e.g. info mode) try to mess with the mode/header
lines themselves, which will screw things up in those buffers, so you'll
have to add special hacks (maybe to the mode hooks for htose modes) to
deal with those cases.

If you want to do this in only a single buffer, use
`make-local-variable' on those two variables first to make them
buffer-local.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!

* Re: Modeline position
@ 2005-06-14  0:21 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2005-06-14  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there any way to change the mode-line position so that it is, say,
> at the top of a buffer rather then at the bottom?

(setq header-line-format mode-line-format
      mode-line-format   nil)

HTH.
Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: Modeline position
@ 2005-06-14 13:07   ` Patrick
From: Patrick @ 2005-06-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you.

I used default-header-line-format, which works well. Otherwise the
format remains buffer-local I believe.

(setq default-header-line-format default-mode-line-format
        default-mode-line-format nil)

And for those of you who use ecb, you can hook into
ecb-redraw-layout-after-hook with something clunky like this (which
also turns off fringes in emacs CVS)

(defun ecb-hook ()
  (let ((l (list ecb-directories-buffer-name
		 ecb-sources-buffer-name
		 ecb-methods-buffer-name
		 ecb-history-buffer-name)))
    (progn
      (mapcar '(lambda (x) (set-window-fringes (get-buffer-window x) 0 0)) l)
      (mapcar '(lambda (x) (setq mode-line-format nil)) l)
      (set-window-fringes ecb-edit-window 5 5)
      )))

And if you edit ecb-mode-line-update-buffer (in ecb-mode-line.el) to
use header-line-format instead of mode-line-format, you'll be all set
(there don't seem to be any hooks that work :( you'll need to
hard-code it).

Patrick